TTC After a Loss

ttc after reccurent losses blood thinners.

Hi everyone. Long story short me and my husband had a little boy in November 2008 followed by three consecutive miscarriges June and October 2010 and February 2011 all around 5-6wks. We had our little rainbow which healed my heart so so much in October 2012. It hasn't been a easy ride because my oldest has developmental Delay /complex learning needs. He had a very rare neurological event in 2013 which left him partly paralysed but with sheer determination he learnt to walk again and my youngest has complex health needs. There both amazing kids and doing well and all is 'stable' it was a hard decision but we decided to try for number three possibly our last baby.I miscarried again on April 9th at 8weeks exactly. Heartbroken the baby stuck longer than our other losses but just didn't develop right. We are starting to ttc again from June - now I've had my first af. Been told I can have blood thinners clexine from my positve test and then after. (always have them after) I'm abit nervous about taking them whilst pregnant ie blood loss etc.

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Xx

Re: ttc after reccurent losses blood thinners.

• Clexane is the UK brand name for enoxaparin sodium, which is sold under the name Lovenox in the US. I have used it in the past during pregnancy, as well as currently due to clotting risk for another medication I am on, as well as periodically for short-term clotting risks during travel.

The drug is given from a single-use pre-loaded syringe and is both a small needle and easy to use. There are certain tricks for more comfortable use (don't rub injection site after, fast jab/slow injection, ice cube to skin prior to injection, etc.), but for the most part it is very easy to get used to after the first injection. The first one is only hard because you have to get over the mental leap of sticking yourself with a needle.

As for bleeding risks during pregnancy, from what my OB told me, it is usually only an issue during slip and falls, and during labor. If you have a slip and fall, even a minor one, in the states standard operating procedure is a visit to Labor and Delivery for an exam and an emergency u/s to check for internal bleeding along the placenta. In the UK the procedure to screen for bleeding may be different, and you should definitely talk to your OB about what to do in the case of a fall. As for labor, enoxaparin sodium is 'low molecular weight heparin' and has a longer half-life than regular heparin. This is great in that you only need one shot a day, but can increase bleeding risks if you go into early labor. So, it is not uncommon for women to be moved to regular heparin injections partway through the 3rd trimester, as the likelihood of going into labor naturally increases. After giving birth, you are likely to be moved back to once a day Clexane until your 6 week postpartum visit.

As an aside, I would ask why you are being placed on a blood thinner, and if you need to be on a milder long term thinner for life. For example, I have a genetic blood clotting factor than significantly raised my lifetime risk of stroke and DVT, so I will take daily aspirin for life.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage