April 2015 Moms
Options

Breathing

I tried to find another post about this but couldn't find what I was looking for. My son is 8 weeks old and he is a pretty big boy 14 lbs 23.5 inches long, I've noticed when he's sleeping or flat on his back he will make this gasping--hiccupping noise. I have an appointment in 3 days for him at the doc but I was wondering if any other moms have noticed this in their babies? I wake up every time I hear it in the middle of the night just to make sure he is still breathing. I let him sleep at an incline too and he still does it. He does it regardless what position he is in, maybe he is congested? Any advice is much appreciated I'm a first timer here!

Re: Breathing

• Options
    My baby does this too while he is sleeping. He also does it while he is awake when he gets excited. I had my mil check him out as she is a pediatric nurse and she says its normal. From everything I've read it seems normal but I do plan on discussing with our pediatrician at our 2 mo appt this week!
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  • Options
    I think I know what you're talking about…like a high-pitched sudden yelp or gasp (not painful sounding)? If so, my LO does it too! Freaks me out a bit every time, but she always seems fine. They make so many noises when they're asleep, it's nerve wracking!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our lo has done it since before we left the hospital - the nurses knew about it and said it was ok. It makes me super anxious he does it though!
  • Options
    My 6 week old boy makes a gasping sound too, it scares me. I don't think weight is the issue since mines just under 8 lbs. he does it while nursing sometimes, like he's pulling for milk or air and getting nothing. Also when crying hard, but I think that's from being worked up...? I asked about it at 1 mo check up, but described it as "wheezing" and after realized I should have said "gasping" more accordingly; either way dr said lungs sound fine and it's probably a new noise he's making, but I'll be asking again at 2 mo because it does worry me when I see his little chest pulling for air like that. :/
  • Options
    My son is 2 months (8 weeks). I reported the same issue to his pediatrician at 4 weeks. He seems to make a gasping sound sometimes while nursing. The Dr explained that his gasping was due to babies sucking, swallowing and breathing at the same time. This ability stops at 6 months. He said that sometimes it is difficult for them to coordinate all 3 tasks. Also, the epiglottis and larynx are immature and are floppy which can cause the sound because they close while feeding instead of staying open. As long as your baby is gaining weight and not have breathing issues at rest, then all is well. Before the Dr's visit, Dr Google had me all worked up about a condition called laryngomalacia. Even still as long as baby is gaining weight the treatment is NOTHING. Babies grow out of it.

• Options
    Well that's comforting to know, thanks! (Never ever visit Dr Google!!)