January 2016 Moms
Options

Personal pampering.

As a FTM I base all of my information off of things that I read online, not to do this because such and such article says (blah) and to do this because such and such article says (blah)
But, for this, I've had conflicting information.
Is it safe to go to the salon and get a haircut and possibly some highlights? I haven't had a cut in over a year and my hair is getting too long (read : I'm too lazy) to fix.

Also, my toenails eek! I swear I look like a caveman! I'm in desperate need for a pedicure. I read that it is ok (chemical wise) to get a pedicure but the smells may make your MS worse- which I've experienced, I go to a nail salon to do my eyebrows and the smell alone made me so dizzy I had to come home and lay down.

So- is personal pampering allowed in pregnancy- obviously they don't want us to look like cavemen - so is it a moderation thing?

I sound like a preppy teen.. -rolls eyes-

Re: Personal pampering.

• Options
    jonesl12jonesl12 member
    edited May 2015
    I've totally done both already for sure. My girlfriend owns a salon and they are very very clean. Every 2 weeks i get a mani-pedi. Just make sure the tools the spa or salon you go to uses sanitized tools on your hands and feet oh and that it's well ventilated. I've continued to get my hair cut and colored however they have been using foils or painting it on my hair instead so less product gets on my scalp. They also nolonger put me under a dryer while it's processing so that the fumes don't blow in my face . My doc said its all perfectly fine. Being pregnant is def not a reason to let it all go lol . Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    I haven't looked into the hair at all yet, but I could use some fresh highlights so I'll be interested to see how everyone responds.

I have had a pedicure since finding out I was pregnant though.  I already stopped going to regular nail salons a few years ago because the smell of the chemicals always gave me a headache.  I get my nails done at a hair salon and spa now that is totally ventilated and doesn't have that nail salon smell.  It's like $8 more than I would pay at a typical nail salon, but definitely worth it.  From what my doctor said as long as the place is ventilated and you're not breathing in that strong chemical smell it is fine.

I say get your pedi...it's flip flop season! At least over here in New Jersey where it's been almost 90 degrees all week! Where do you live?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    carmv01carmv01 member
    I plan doing both this week! I could see how the nail salon smell could make you dizzy though. I think the salon I go to is ventilated pretty well, at least I didn't notice it the last time I went (pre-pregnancy).
  • Options
    @JandJ62914 I live in good ole South Carolina weathers been a humid 80-95ish. Regardless of my caveman feet in still in flip flops - people shouldn't be staring at my feet that much.

The nail salon I go to when I went last week was NOT ventilated, normally they have a door open but they didn't and it was SO strong.
    I didn't think about a hair salon type place.
    I don't even have a hair salon - I tend to find new places each time.
    I'll figure something out. I need a pamper day.
  • Options
    MyelhsaMyelhsa member
    I've heard/read that highlighting is completely fine as long as the dye doesn't come right up to your scalp. I work with a woman who is 21 weeks and her hairstylist refused to do all-over color knowing she was pregnant.