January 2016 Moms
Options

HPV shots

I had the series shots back when I was like 12 or 13. (My mom was very serious on that topic) I can't remember the exact year, I got them done. I HAD them done. I remember. I KNOW I had them done.
The Doctors here (on base, in Texas) have asked more than once about them, and I can't remember the year. So now there's discussion on me getting them done, AGAIN.

I don't want them done again. I don't need them done again, but becuase I'm pregnant they want me safe.

Can't they just get my medical record faxed to them from michigan, and see that I had them done?!
Why would they redo them, and waste it. Rather than safe the medicine and me, from getting poked more than I should.

The one thing I hate about pregnancy, is how much they poke you. This is my second pregnancy, and I'm already tired of them getting any excuse to poke me with a needle.

Re: HPV shots

• Options
    Have them get your medical records. That can definitely be done.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    The HPV vaccine is optional. They can't do anything without your consent so just don't give it to them! You are in control of every choice you make during your pregnancy (with a few extreme exceptions) so don't let anyone push you around!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just tell them no, it is optional and if you know you've already had it, even more reason to stick to your guns. My mom was just as adamant that I didn't get it when I was a teen, so I've never had it and my doctors have left me alone about it.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    If you've already had it, you don't need it again. However if your doctor recommends it and isn't being proactive in obtaining your old vaccination records to confirm its already happened, that seems counterintuitive. And a little weird your doctor doesn't trust you.

Just so you know, Texas has had a lot of issues politically with this vaccine in just a short few years. The HPV vaccine was mandated in Texas just a few years ago, and I believe that gubernatorial mandate was overturned by the legislature there. Perry also had ties to the vaccine manufacturer.
  • Options
    I refuse to get them again. I don't believe my body needs two doses. But the doctors here keep asking, like they're trying to push me into getting them.
  • Options
    Just get your records faxed. I am seen on a military base as well, and each time we PCS I hand carry a copy of my vac. records, and have the clinics forward them as well. Mostly because I am terrible at remembering when I had a specific shot, and like you, don't want to double up.
  • Options
    CBWifeyCBWifey member
    As a military spouse, I have noticed the same thing with on base doctors. There's no excuse for not obtaining your records. I think it's irresponsible to give shots like that while you are pg without doing the best they can to ascertain your history! They also try to push the TDap a lot during pg. while I recognize this is important and for baby's safety, every person is different and they should take that into consideration per patient. I react badly to that one, so I will not consent to it especially since I had it 4 years ago. Don't let them push you around. And I believe your gut is telling you the right thing, and that is to have them justify their reasons for wanting you to get it.
  • Options
    Perhaps your local health department could contact the health department here in Michigan? Try putting in a call to your local office. There must be a way to get out of state records.
  • Options
    All your Texas doctor how to do is fax a release signed by you to your Michigan doctor for them to send your vaccination records.