High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD, high numbers and being frustrated

This is my second child and I have GD once again.  It seems like it's worst this time than it was when I had my daughter.  I've basically opted to doing the Atkins diet somewhat and my morning sugars are still high.  My bedtime snacks have went down from 4 crackers with peanut butter to just sticking a spoon in the jar and eating just a spoonful of it.  I can only eat a cheese stick and half an apple and I'm still very hungry.  I was eating nuts like almonds, pecans, or peanuts and my doctor told me yesterday that they are very fattening so I can't eat those either.  I'm more stressed about finding things I can actually eat and worrying that the baby will be big than anything else.  I crave foods that I can't eat which is torture.  I'm only 24 weeks with my little boy and  I still have some ways to go before Labor Day Weekend gets here.  It should seem that I know what to do but it's harder now.  I am an Autistic Spectrum Disorder teacher which makes it somewhat stressful but school will be out soon.  Is anybody else trying to battle this thing with GD? 

Re: GD, high numbers and being frustrated

• Options
    My doctors encouraged eating nuts for protein. I'm 21 weeks and have been doing GD management since 11 weeks. I might recommend seeing if you can talk to a different doctor or a dietician/nutritionist about snack choices. I hope that after school is out your stress level goes down and allows your blood sugar to be lower.

I've been using protein bars to help with snacks, they were recommended by my mfm team.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with GD at 16w. As pg has progressed, keeping sugars in check has become harder with diet alone. I am now just over 27 weeks. GD sucks!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was diagnosed at 24 weeks. This is my 3rd pregnancy and first time with GD. No matter what I ate, my numbers were high. On top of that my little girl is measuring small...it's a catch 22. They don't want me cutting back on calories but my GD wasn't controlled. They put me on glyburide and it's helped. I can still eat so I'm not starving myself and my #'s are better controlled. I have also been walking more. But I have to take meds 4 times a day. It stinks BUT it's not forever :-) Good luck to you finding balance. It can be very frustrating especially when you have cut everything out of your diet and still don't see the results.
  • Options
    I am type 2, but super controlled when not pregnant or just diet and exercise. I had GD with my 1st. Don't cut out carbs! Your body and baby need them. You should have got nutrition counseling to let you know what and how much to eat for snacks and meals. If you can't control with diet and exercise, you may need meds. I am in insulin 4 times a day, which sucks.... But this way my sugars are super controlled.
  • Options
    I did an A1C last Wednesday so they told me they will call me and tell me if I have to be on meds or not.  I never thought about protein bars or shakes for that matter.  I may have to check that out.  The last time I had a different doctor and I did nutrition counseling then.  I guess they didn't do it this time because last time I was able to control it by myself without meds.  My daughter was 6lbs 9oz.  I just hope things look up soon.  I don't have far to go.  Thanks a lot ladies!!
  • Options
    I was told I had GD at 14 weeks and I'm 22 weeks now. I had trinkets with my morning sugars too and it did not matter what I ate. They put me in insulin which I hated the Idea of that but it at least allows me to satisfy my hunger.
  • Options
    What about cottage or ricotta cheese or plain Greek yogurt. Those are all good sources of protein with almost no carbs and very filling.
  • Options
    I'm 21 weeks and was diagnosed with GD at 8 weeks! I've been angry about food since then. It's been very difficult, especially being a special education teacher with very little time but this is the last week of school. In the beginning I had a difficult time with my morning numbers but found that a couple graham crackers with peanut butter and a glass of plain almond milk before bed do the trick. I read somewhere else that a cup of vanilla ice cream before bed also does the trick and it's true! I almost cried when I read that. I just make sure to add nuts and sometimes whipped cream from the can (my nutritionist said it had very little sugar, mostly air). The rest of the day I am able to control it through diet, at least for now but dinner is the most difficult for me!
  • Options
    Hello ladies I'm new to the High risk boards I'm glad to find I'm not the only one struggling to keep my sugars in check while growing my first sweet pea...I agree with you @RubyRed80 it is hard to find things to eat I was diagnosed with type 2 two years before and am now pregnant with my first I'm trying to follow the diet control way but it's freaking hard to the point where I feel like crying and not eating anything which of course I cannot do (cry I can but not eat is not an option) I don't want to go on insulin but I'm hoping that if I stick to this nutrition plan it will help me in the long run
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am a diabetic Type 2 pre pregnancy and insulin dependent. Maybe you need to start taking some meds? I would also suggest seeing a nutritionist. 
  • Options
    My nutritionist told me to cut out protein shakes and bars- risk of vitamin overdose with prenatals. She gave me a specific number of carbs to eat at each meal and that has helped my numbers.
  • Options
    My nutritionist told me that animal protiens, specifically chicken and fish are way more effective on overnight fasting numbers than other sources of proteins. I also find that if I exercise after dinner I have a lower number in the morning. Did you get a meal plan from your educational counselor/nutritionist?

This is mine!
    Married 4/24/2009 TTC 1/01/2013 BFP 7/1/2013
    TTC #2 01/01/15 BFP 4/24/15
    Healthy Baby Boy Delivered in March 2014
    "Courage is not absence from fear but rather and understanding; that what you desire is greater than what you fear"

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker