April 2015 Moms
Options

Sleeping on his back trouble

my son hates being on his back! He is always struggling to lay on his back and kicks his feet and moves his arms and whines everytime he is on his back. As you can imagine sleep time is really difficult because he will do this for hours and I end up picking him up and he falls asleep on me. I know this is "bad" for many reasons but don't know how to get him to sleep on his back. I spoke to the doctor about it and she thinks it's just indigestion and said it will get better around 3 months and he is two months old now. This doesn't help me in the mean time though. Does anyone else have this problem?? If so what do you do to help the little one??

Re: Sleeping on his back trouble

• Options
    Try keeping him upright after he eats. My dd has it to and if I lie her down to soon after eating she will do the same thing. Another thing I do ( and this might just be coincidence) is if I eat something that triggered my acid reflux when I was pregnant I will take a tums after I eat it and it seems to help with her not spitting up at much
  • Options
    My son sleeps in his carseat. He has acid reflux and would kick and fuss when we put him on his back in his bassinet. My pediatrician said it was fine to have him sleep in the carseat or bouncy seat. She said to do what works. He will be 6 weeks on Friday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our DD has reflux as well. We use fisher price's Rock N Play with an automatic rocker feature. Baby sleeps at a slight incline, and she feels more secure. We also stuffed some towels underneath one side of her bassinet's mattress to keep her upper half at an incline when she sleeps there. I also hear there's a wedge you can buy to use in your crib to help with the same issue.
  • Options

My son sleeps in his carseat. He has acid reflux and would kick and fuss when we put him on his back in his bassinet. My pediatrician said it was fine to have him sleep in the carseat or bouncy seat. She said to do what works. He will be 6 weeks on Friday.

Not trying to be negative or anything but I've read several articles and books that say letting them sleep in a car seat or bouncer is dangerous.
    Here's one example: https://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/swing-and-car-seat-dangers/

My son has the same issue. He sleeps in a rock n play. It has an incline but is more subtle than a car seat or bouncer.
  • Options

Not trying to be negative or anything but I've read several articles and books that say letting them sleep in a car seat or bouncer is dangerous.
    Here's one example: https://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/swing-and-car-seat-dangers/

My son has the same issue. He sleeps in a rock n play. It has an incline but is more subtle than a car seat or bouncer.
    @mdaugherty8 thanks for the article but it doesn't say that the bouncy seat was the reason her baby died. In fact it doesn't actually give you the reason for her baby's death... I feel like this is another one of those articles that is just trying to scare you without any evidence based information in it. My son has pretty much slept in his car seat since day 1 and the pediatrician said it was totally fine. My baby was 10lbs 11 oz when he was born so maybe his size has something to do with her not worrying? So far we have seen two pediatricians in that office and both said it was fine for him to sleep in his car seat.
  • Options
    I have a 5 week old little boy and he disliked sleeping on his back as well. I talked with my midwife and she said it was safe to put him on his side (switching sides every time he wakes up) and put a roll of fabric/blanket behind his back. I have been doing this for 3 days and he has slept soundly for 2-3 hours before waking to eat. This has worked out fabulous for him. I would talk to your doctor or midwife. 

Me: 26 DH: 29
    3/13: Miscarriage
    11/13: Ectopic Pregnancy-removal of 1 fallopian tube

BFP: 8/21/14 

Moses born by emergency C-section 4/23/2015

It's a Boy!

• Options
    Put a pillow/blankets/rolled up towel underneath the top of his matress to elevate his head. He may have a silent reflux and when laying flat on his back it's causing the acid to come back up his throat and burn. If he is ok during the day and can doze off sitting upright in a rocker then you can bet it's a slight reflux. Good Luck!
  • Options
    My LO is a belly sleeper... She fought us to sleep in her crib on her back EVERYTIME I tried. Then I noticed she would fall asleep on everyone's chest. I tried one day on her belly for naps and she slept soundly. I put a monitor in and checked on her every 15 minutes because I was nervous. She still co sleeps with us sometimes, but if she's in the crib it's usually side or belly. And yes I know people don't recommend it but I've talked to many mothers and have discovered just as many of them had back sleepers as belly sleepers so please do not say I'm a bad mother.
  • Options
    niespniesp member
    @BeingMeMcPhee you aren't a bad mother. We all slept on our bellies because that is what the research said... We are still here. As long as you know the research and recommendations you can make the decision in how your child should sleep. Just know the risks involved.