Babies on the Brain
Options

New TTC but no period?

Little background on me: I didn't get my period until I was 14 (very active with sports) and I was very irregular. When I was 19 I went on birth control because I went on the Accutane treatment for acne and by law I had to be on the pill so I would not get pregnant and the pill regulated my cycle too. 

Present: I always would get my period on a Sunday but the last two cycles I didn't get it until Monday which was different. I stopped the pill May 3rd when I would have started a new packet. So I am birth control free. I was supposed to get my period this past Sunday, May 24th but nothing so I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I didn't get my period Sunday or Monday. I took another pregnancy test this morning (Tues) and again negative just to check. With my periods they are super super light, always have been and barely there with birth control. I always get bloating the day of which I did get but still nothing, not even a spot. 

I got two negative tests so that's my answer that I am not pregnant clearly but I didn't know if anybody had their period schedule change getting off the pill? I didn't know if it was how my body is reacting to stopping the pill, my body may be out of wack. I will keep watching and hopefully get it but if I get it later then I will have to push my ovulation days back or should I take an ovulation test? I don't want to miss my fertile window. Any information or advice will help.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: New TTC but no period?

• Options
    I was always on time with the pill, down to the day and hour. I am on my first pill free month and my period is so far a week late. It could be your body adjusting. It may take time to regulate but there are over the counter tests you can take to find your fertile window.
  • Options
    Hi there and welcome! Your cycle will likely change once you come of birth control, you might not ovulate for a few months either, but the only way that you can keep track of that is to track your cycles by temping. Most of the ladies here including myself use the fertility friend app as it is very informative and helpful in ttc and pinpointing when you have ovulated. When I first got off bc I had several long cycles, one that was 50 days, and then my body regulated a little better to shorter cycles, but they are still nothing like the clockwork of being on bc.

I highly suggest temping and also reading some on the ttc board as the ladies here are very helpful!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    edited May 2015
    Wow, sounds like we're cut from the same cloth! I didn't get my period until I was 16 (very active in ballet all my life) and went on Accutane around the same time. My periods were also very irregular when I was off the pill, I would say every 2-3 months as a rough estimate (although once I went 4 months without). 

Over a year ago I went off the pill to get my body ready for TTC and I didn't have a period naturally for 13 months. Needless to say I was freaked out and starting to seriously question what was happening. After a multitude of tests I was diagnosed with PCOS. Before my diagnosis though, my doctors also told me I was a little underweight and could stand to gain a few pounds to help with my irregularity. Not sure what happened, but after a 10 pound weight gain over the course of the year (yes...10, ugh) my body seemed to kick back into gear (I got my period!). Never thought I'd be so excited about my menstrual cycle haha. But I was jumping for joy!! 
    For the past 4 cycles things have been occurring naturally and fingers crossed it stays that way. I still have very long cycles on average (around 42 days), but my body has finally gotten into a rhythm again. I've always been slender as a dancer so an ideal weight in *my mind* is different than what my body wants for me, but I have to try and listen to what it's telling me. 

To echo PPs, your body probably just needs time to get back into sync again. But after going crazy for over a year I thought it was necessary to share my story. Obviously very extreme to what you're experiencing right now haha, but just know you're not alone when it comes to your cycle being out of whack after going off of BC! Good luck :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    It can take your body several months (like 3 months) to regulate after being on BC.  Please get a thermometer and download the FF and starting charting your cycles.  You will learn so much!!