Two Under 2

Weaning and New Pregnancy

Hi everyone!  I just weaned my 9 month old son at the beginning of May. I didn't have any issues weaning because I had always struggled to keep my milk supply going. I just found out we are expecting again, yay 2U2! I took a test because after 3 weeks of not nursing and having no issues I woke up completely engorged out of the blue. I have never struggled with engorgement. I have so much milk and my breasts are so sore! Has anyone else dealt with something similar? Is the increase in milk from the new pregnancy or is it my body's last effort at nursing my current son? Any advice? 

Re: Weaning and New Pregnancy

• kmdendykmdendy member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I breastfeed my 13 month old. My next baby will be born when she is 17 months old.  Do I wean her before the new baby comes?  What happens to my milk. So confusing! 
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited June 2015
    kmdendy said:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I breastfeed my 13 month old. My next baby will be born when she is 17 months old.  Do I wean her before the new baby comes?  What happens to my milk. So confusing! 

Good question! Lurker her. Dh and I are trying to decide when to start trying for#2...ds is 4 months old. For those of you who nursed through pregnancy, what effect did you see on your milk supply? Did your nursing have a reaction/say anything to you? Did your milk change qualitatively? What gained to your milk when lo #2 was born?

ETA... Sorry, my phone won't let me change the typo!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My supply did lessen in the very beginning of pregnancy.  It was hard working, feeling nauseous, and bumping but I did it. It is possible.  At 11 months, I stopped pumping and supplemented with whole milk while I was at work because I just felt like it was too much. I did pump while pregnant for almost 4 months.  I continued to breastfeed and just used whole milk when needed. It wasn't a big deal.  My daughter is almost 14 months now and she is still nursing.  My milk is still there! She gets whole milk for nap time/bedtime and she gets to nurse for comfortable in the morning and when I get home from work.