Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

What week to have D&C?

Hello, I'm so sad and really don't want to have the D&C but I'm just spotting brown so I don't think a natural cm will happen. Doctor schedule me for D&C tomorrow but I'm calling to cancel in the morning which would make me 9 weeks exact.

I don't know when I'll be at terms no heartbeat but when do you think is reasonable .... I say closer to 12 weeks just in case the heart starts beating.... Is this wishful or crazy thinking? And what week did you decide to have the D&C?

Re: What week to have D&C?

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had 3 misscarriage.1 very early misscariage and two missed miscarriage where I got cytotec treatment in order to get my body to pass pregnancy tissue. If there is no heartbeat now I do not not think there will be one later. Coming to terms with what has happen will take its time regardless of if you do the D&C tomorrow or later, however the risk of an infection due to your body not being able to pass pregnancy tissue on its own will increase for every week you continue to keep waiting so this aspect should be discussed with your OB who knows your health and medical history. I might also add that for me personally getting over and done with that physical part of misscarriage as soon as possible and prepare for new rounds of ttc helped me dealing with my emotions. Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss!
  • Options
    Thank you, I understand I will ask how long I can go without getting an infection
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope you soon will start to feel a little better. Let yourself grieve, listen to your body and take it easy for a little while, also it is very good if you have somebody to talk to. The first weeks will be an emotionally roller coaster and your hormones will act up a lot. Be prepared for having a sort fuse and crie over unexpected things (I was completely in tears because my nephew bumped his head once and I had to exude myself because I cried harder than he did!).
  • Options
    RyanVoRyanVo member
    edited May 2015
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.  I miscarried at 9 weeks with my first pregnancy.  My OB did not even offer to perform a D&C and I miscarried naturally.  I had brown spotting for the 3 days, bright red bleeding and mild cramping for  the next 2 days, and (I am not going to lie to you) extremely painful cramping and very heavy bleeding for a good 24 hours followed by normal bleeding for about a week.  During that 24 hours of misery, I was in a lot of pain, scared, and as expected extremely sad and depressed.  I wish my doctor would have given me the option to have a D&C or I wish I would have spoke up and asked for one.  But ultimately the decision is up to you and hopefully my painful experience can help you make a decision.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  I will keep you in my prayers.  
  • Options
    I know you need to be ready to face the loss and have the D&C, but there is something else besides the chance of infection to consider, sometimes missed miscarriages can produce truly awful physical miscarriages when the products of conception and baby finally pass. I had to finally take Cytotec at 11 weeks when my mmc was at 6 weeks because I wasn't passing anything. With the body holding on for an additional 5 weeks, it was an extremely painful and trying experience. I still struggle with PTSD symptoms, and I wish I had had the option of a D&C at the time. Perhaps, instead of waiting for an unlikely miracle, you could take to your doctor about further testing for peace of mind. Perhaps another u/s to demonstrate that no growth has occurred, or repeat betas to show falling HCG levels? Whatever might help your heart understand that this baby didn't make it. ((HUGS)) I am so sorry for your loss.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

• Options
    As @RyanVo and @MrsGargoyle has said about the physical part of miscarriages it can be very though and a traumatic experiences. With my first mmc whe found out about 16w that that there was no heartbeat and the baby measured only 9w. My cervix was closed and except from a small bleeding in the end of week 15 that already had stopped my body didn't show any sign of a miscarriage going to happend. The us also showed that my uterus and the precnancy sac was measuring closer to what it should be at 16w and to big for 9w. The doctor explained that the placenta had kept growing, producing hormones and thus my body kept going on with the pregnancy despite the baby already had passed away. I got cytotec and hospitalised that same day. Looking back I would have liked to have had a D&C instead, but that was not something the doctors would give me unless my body failed to pass all pregnancy tissue after cytotec treatment. Talk with your doc about how you feel , what you think and what s/he think is best for you medically and why. Hugs
  • Options
    Synnovus said:
    As @RyanVo and @MrsGargoyle has said about the physical part of miscarriages it can be very though and a traumatic experiences. With my first mmc whe found out about 16w that that there was no heartbeat and the baby measured only 9w. My cervix was closed and except from a small bleeding in the end of week 15 that already had stopped my body didn't show any sign of a miscarriage going to happend. The us also showed that my uterus and the precnancy sac was measuring closer to what it should be at 16w and to big for 9w. The doctor explained that the placenta had kept growing, producing hormones and thus my body kept going on with the pregnancy despite the baby already had passed away. I got cytotec and hospitalised that same day. Looking back I would have liked to have had a D&C instead, but that was not something the doctors would give me unless my body failed to pass all pregnancy tissue after cytotec treatment. Talk with your doc about how you feel , what you think and what s/he think is best for you medically and why. Hugs
    When I found a new doctor, and he took my history including details of the previous loss, this is exactly what he felt had happened. I am so very sorry you weren't offered a D&C.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage