August 2015 Moms
Options

STMs: what did you wear during labor?

JNOVA2015JNOVA2015 member
edited May 2015 in August 2015 Moms
We had our birthing class yesterday, and in most of the videos the laboring moms were very scantily dressed - just a sports bra for some, buckass nekkid for others. Just curious what others have worn while laboring?? The idea of being basically naked through 24 hours of labor really freaks me out. I don't know why it never occurred to me before that many people might labor naked....

I had been thinking of bringing a tank nightgown that I can wear with a sports bra - that's what I usually sleep in (without the sports bra) and I'm really comfortable in it. It's short, but not so short that it doesn't cover my butt! I think it would be much more comfortable than a hospital gown, and I have several so I don't care if one is ruined. Would that be ridiculous?

Also, do you go commando the whole time?? Or can you wear underwear and take it off for the exams and pushing? Is that just a huge pain?

Re: STMs: what did you wear during labor?

• Options
    As pp hospital gown. It also makes it easier in case of emergencies, or having an IV (as they tend to snap at one shoulder).
    Honestly you stop caring for the most part and I try remember that my "goods" are not that special in l&d as this is what the medical staff see day in and day out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kat+1kat+1 member
    edited May 2015
    While I laboured I wore a black nighty. During transition I felt the need to be naked and didn't have anything on. My body needed to be able to open up. I didn't wear panties as my water broke and I was leaking so it was better just to leak and not have wet panties or a pad on.
    I stood for 80% of my labour and at the end I layed down to push because I was so tired.
    You could get a pretty pushers gown to wear they are pretty but also just like a hospital gown so you can look cute while having your baby.

For me I chose the black because it wasn't going to get ruined by blood and I could wear it after baby was born. it was lose so I could breastfeed in it too. When I was walking I put on my thin black house coat so I had more coverage and I could be warm out in the halls.

This time I will be making my own pretty pusher that is black and pink as we are having baby girl. My birth will be different different from last time, last time I had a midwife, this time I will have and OB. Or student deliver( no midwife in this part of Canada) so more people will be around seeing my body and I am not comfortable with strangers seeing me naked.
  • Options
    If you want skin to skin right when baby is born (which you probably will because it's our motherly instinct) you won't want to have a sports bra on. I just wore the hospital gown because I did decide to do the epi and that needs to be open in the back. Plus if you need an emergency C section you're not going to have time to get some nightgown off.

You truly will not care about your lady bits being exposed when you're pushing.
  • Options
    Wear what you are comfortable in. I had a midwife delivery in hospital with limited exams, no IV or any interventions and I wore a comfy super loose tank nightgown with a nursing bra underneath so I could easily go skin to skin after the delivery. I think I wore underwear for most of labour can't really remember but then you definitely will lose those during pushing lol!
  • Options
    I wore 2 hospital gowns one the normal way and the other like a robe. Nothing underneath. Took the robe one off when I got an epidural.
  • Options
    Hospital gown, it was a pain in the rear to try to wear my own stuff with all the constant checking and etc. I wore the hospital gown the entire first day because they poke you so much and push your stomach after birth..to make you gush several times. I hate blood so it grossed me out. The following day I put on a tank and pj bottoms.
  • Options
    Thanks, all! Very helpful. I find hospital gowns so uncomfortable, so I'll probably figure out some kind of gown to bring at least until I make it to transition or can't take it any longer and beg for the epidural :)

With the epidural, does your back have to stay exposed? Or is it only exposed while they're doing the procedure? I guess after that point you're pretty much confined to the bed anyway...
  • Options
    I also stayed in the hospital gown.  Whatever I had been wearing would have been completely ruined, childbirth is pretty messy business.  The blood was enough to stop me but DS managed to pee all over everyone and everything on his way out as well.  

One of the things I remember most about labor was how unbelievably hot I got, I don't think I've ever felt that before or since.  That may be why some women had chosen to just be naked.  
  • Options
    Hospital gown and I will do the same this go around.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    JNOVA2015 said:

Thanks, all! Very helpful. I find hospital gowns so uncomfortable, so I'll probably figure out some kind of gown to bring at least until I make it to transition or can't take it any longer and beg for the epidural :)

With the epidural, does your back have to stay exposed? Or is it only exposed while they're doing the procedure? I guess after that point you're pretty much confined to the bed anyway...

The epi stays in your back the whole time, so your robe just has to be open around your back but your butt will be covered more than likely. It's bandaged so it doesn't move, don't worry :)
  • Options
    I also wore a gown. I could have cared less what I was in. At one point I was naked in a tub.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wore a t shirt. So silly in retrospect. With the incessant checks underwear would be pointless. I'm wearing a black nighty that is short and can pull down easily when baby is delivered. I'd go full-nude but I know the l&d nurses personally.
  • Options
    Thj417Thj417 member
    When I checked in to hospital I was told to disrobe and change into the hospital gown. Disrobe aka take everything off!!! I was so far done with my first pregnancy I didn't care anymore. 41w5d.
  • Options
    I ordered something (on sale!) from bamboo mama. I want to feel as "at home" as possible, so wanted something super comfy and something that was mine, that I would wear at home. I also have a cotton black robe I could easily wear. I don't think I'll wear anything underneath but it depends on leaking.... I plan to be up walking and in and out of the bath tub as much as possible ...(well, more ideally I will do as much of this at home as possible, where id be much more comfy being naked!)
  • Options
    Just wore the hospital gown. The whole labor process is intense enough the thought or worry over being commando didn't even register. And I would have hated trying to get underwear on and off while already in pain.

Also, my baby's temp was low so we had to do skin to skin immediately to get him warm, any extra clothes would have been an issue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I started my induction in pajamas then my water broke and I ended up in the hospital mesh panties (comfiest thing ever!!! And a tank top. Once labor really started going though I got in and out of the shower/tub a lot and was naked for the vast majority of the time. Worry about it all you want but when it comes down to it you really just don't care! You're so absorbed in what you're doing that being naked is like the farthest thing from your mind!!!
  • Options
    I wore a hospital gown too. I didn't mind it and I feel it was just easier, plus none of my stuff got ruined. If you are thinking of having an epi then it would probably be best to use the hospital gown too.
  • Options
    With DS1 - In the beginning of labor... At the hospital... I wore their gown and yoga pants and socks... As things progressed I took of my underwear and yoga pants.

With DS2 - I didn't have time to worry about wanting pants on.. I ended up with an emergency csection after laboring and pushing. I assume they would have had me switch into a hospital gown at that point if I wasn't already in one?

Really... As soon as I checked into the hospital, they asked me to change into the gown.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Options
    I'm delivering at birth center and so I'll bring a few sports bras should I want them for the tub, because my boobs are huge and having them flopping around isn't fun. I'll also bring some night gowns. But like, I may just be walking around naked. No one cares, and when you're in the middle of labor you might surprise yourself with what feels most comfortable. I would say if I was a first time mom ugh those hospital gowns I can't wear them but honestly my first birth I couldn't have been bothered with the material and what it actually felt like
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wore a long nightie with breastfeeding panel at the top over yoga pants. Underpants etc came off when it was time to push but the nightie stayed on during pushing - not that I cared what I was wearing but that's just how it panned out. As soon as baby arrived and got plonked on my chest the nightie got covered in vernix and blood. Doctors and midwives have seen so many tits, bums and vaginas, yours won't be anything special, and you'll be busy thinking about other things anyway...
  • Options
    Don't wear underwear.  That sounds like a huge pain.  I just wore a hospital gown and nothing else.  I know some people like to wear their own clothes, but labor isn't a clean process.  There is blood, placenta, and a pretty slimy baby that gets tossed on your chest.  You may want to leave off the tank and bra, so it is easy to do skin-to-skin time right after labor.

• Options
    Hospital gown
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wore a hospital gown. I vomited on it after giving birth, so I was quite happy not to have that to take home and clean. Honestly, the very last thing on my mind was what I was wearing.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! I think it's absolutely a situation where I won't care at all in the moment, but having a plan in advance will at least make me feel like I'm slightly in control of an uncontrollable situation :). Self-deception at its finest!!
  • Options
    I'm so happy you asked this question because I was thinking the same thing! When I went to a natural birthing class they were showing us different laboring positions and one was on all 4's ( ahem,, kind of like doggie style?) and I was horrified.. I just stared at the pic and and actually asked the lady.. sooo like is my butt out at this point? Like just out there? And she confirmed. I wanted to die. Was hoping to wear a light short nightie or something to cover up a little!