Multiples

My boys are here!!!/breastfeeding question

Tasha819Tasha819 member
edited May 2015 in Multiples
I had my scheduled C-section a week ago and finally welcomed Kyle Matthew and Zachary Tyler into the world! I couldn't be happier (and more exhausted.) I am trying so hard to breastfeed these boys but it's really taking everything out of me. I have an almost 3 year old and I feel like I have no time for him at all because I feed Kyle for a half hour, then Zachary then I pump for 20 minutes to build supply (which feels like a lost cause. I don't think it's working) and that leaves me 30-40 minutes before I have to start the cycle all over again. I don't know how you twin mommies keep up with this schedule! Anyway..any advice would be great! Here are my newest loves!

Re: My boys are here!!!/breastfeeding question

• Congratulations!! No advice, since I'm actually in the same cycle- nurse each baby for 20-30, then pump for 20, and do it all over again 1 1/2 hours later (we're on a 3 hour schedule). It's definitely tedious, but you are not alone!! Hang in there momma. Your boys are beautiful!
    **Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
    Clomid x4 = BFN
    Femara+Follistim IUIs x 6 = 3 BFN, 2 C/P, 1 early miscarriage
    IVF June 2014- 43 R, 34 M, 24 F, 12 blasts frozen and severe OHSS
    FET September 12, 2014!
    Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
    Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
    Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813
    Pending EDD at first OB appointment 11/6. Grow babies grow!

"I might have to wait. I'll never give up. I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck. 
    Wherever you are, whenever it's right, you'll come out of nowhere and into my life." ~ Michael Buble

• Oh that sounds familiar. It does get easier. I also pumped until I got my supply up and then dropped that. Fenugreek and blessed thistle herbs helped me. At about a week I started tandem feeding which was a turning point for how Long it took. I also felt I had almost zero time for my 2 year old son at the beginning. He spent a lot of time with family and we kept him in daycare for now. I have lots of milk now and we have been able to exclusively breastfeed. I usually feed babies together which means I'm usually waking one but sometimes I will feed one at a time just to feel more
    Bonding and be able to absorb some one on one time. I also feel there's more time with DS (I'd love even more but it has gotten better) We often read books while I am feeding. Twins are 5 weeks now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats by the way! Didn't mean to forget that part. Your boys are very cute.
  • Thank you so much. @MamaC1983, that gives me some hope. I've tried tandem feeding but one has a hard time latching so hopefully when he gets better at it I will be able to do that and cut the time in half. I am taking fenugreek. I will have to get some blessed thistle too because I keep reading about that. Thanks again and congrats to you too!
  • I used a lot of rolled up or folded receiving blankets and put it under their back and head to keep them close to the breast while i was getting the hang of it. Latch your challenging babe first.

I'm assuming you have a good breastfeeding pillow, that helps a lot.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. You will get this!
  • abeglinabeglin member
    Tandem feed if you are able to!!
  • I think once my milk supply comes up enough to sustain both of them and Zachary learns to latch better then I will be able to tandem feed easier.
  • SBmommaSBmomma member
    Congrats! We are in the same boat here. It is SUCH a challenge having a toddler on top of having twins. My twin boys are almost 3 months, both have serious tongue tie issues & poor latching which made for very long & frustrating nursing sessions. For the sake of my sanity I decided to exclusively pump & it's been a lot better for my situation. So far my supply feeds both of them & then some. Good luck with everything!
  • I have 10 week old twin girls I'm breastfeeding, and also still nursing my 3 1/2 year old a couple times a day. So, here is my advice.

Get the twin My Brest Friend pillow. It can help support them while getting them latched. Everything I've read says to actually get your strongest nurser latched first. With the pillow they can stay latched, and will kick in the let down to make it easier as the other twin learns to nurse better.

The most important thing for supply is nutrition and hydration. Nursing two means you need around 3,000 calories a day (which can seem overwhelming) and as much water as when you were pregnant. I aim for at least 100 oz a day.

I take the Motherlove More Milk Plus when I can (I'm super forgetful). I also occasionally drink a cup of Earth Mama Angel Baby Milkmaid tea every so often. I don't love the flavor, but it does help. If you're having concerns about supply, I'd speak with a lactation consultant. Keep in mind that pumps aren't as efficient at getting milk out, so you may get very little even if the twins are getting plenty, especially after nursing both babies!

Congrats on your twins mama! It's exhausting, but super rewarding. My girls have started smiling and laughing and responding to words like mama and milkies. You can do this!
  • Thank you for the advice @SeekingSmall. I've read about that pillow and I'm starting to think it is definitely worth it. I met with a lactation consultant yesterday and we had both babies nursing for a half hour-40 minutes and they both only took in about half an ounce each when she weighed them so that was disappointing. Hopefully the herbs and constant pumping/nursing starts to boost my supply a bit. Also, I barely have time to eat so I'm lucky if I take in 1,000 calories a day. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it! Thanks again! Congrats to you also! It helps to know it will get easier :)
  • basil2basil2 member
    Congratulations!
    I agree with the advice re tandem feeding.
    Is there a reason why you need to pump? If the babies are only nursing that will build your supply. I didn't start pumping until they were a month old. I find pumping to be a chore- and it was worse w/ twins than with our first.
    Good luck!
  • Thank you @basil2. Unfortunately, one baby doesn't latch well and the other one doesn't have a strong suck so they either get frustrated, pop off and cry or they fall asleep and stop sucking completely so a pump is more effective. I'm hoping that as they get older, they get better at it because you are absolutely right, pumping is a chore. It leaves me zero time for bonding and it's almost not worth it anymore. I'm trying to stick it out and hope it gets easier. I am hoping my milk supply come up enough to feed them but they each take in 3 ounces every 2-3 hours and I can only pump about 3 ounces every couple hours so that leaves them drinking formula half the time. This is just so stressful.
  • I'm in the same boat. My boys are 8weeks and taking 3ozs every 2-3 hours but I only pump 3-4ozs that often. We're supplementing. I hate the pump! But it's what I have to do because I'm working. Trying Fenugreek, oatmeal, mothers milk tea, etc in attempts to boost supply. When mine nurse, they actually get a full feeding, but the pump doesn't get nearly as much out
  • Eat eat and eat more! Healthy though if you can. Like whole avocados, fruits, cliff bars! Things that are high calorie but quick. It should help. But do your best and don't give up. But don't be too hard on yourself.