High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

16 weeks, Cervix is .9cm

So two weeks ago I had some serious bleeding, which isn't new for me because I have a Septated Uterus and bled through my entire pregnancy with my daughter (now almost 2). But after some testing and a thorough ultra sound, they found that my cervix was only 2.5cm. This was a new situation for me and I didn't know much about it. They told me to take it easy and come back in a week to be checked again to make sure it didn't get any thinner. When I went back they told me it had thinned to .9cm and sent me straight to the hospital to be seen by the high risk team to see what we wanted to do next. After much deliberation the high risk team decided I am not a candidate for cerclage because of my abnormal uterus. So I was sent home with progesterone suppositories. Don't know why they chose suppositories and not the shots, but I guess I can ask my new high risk ob when I see her this week.

I'm trying to stay positive, but only being 16 weeks makes me feel like making it to viability is ages away. And even making it to viability is scary because it is still so early and there are so many health concerns. I know there really isn't anything that can be done, but the anxiety of just sitting here thinking that at any moment it could all end is driving me crazy. I try to take my mind of it and do other things, but its kind of always in the back of my mind. I have read lots of positive outcomes when progesterone is used in any form, so that does help. Just the thought of making it 8-9 more weeks seems impossible with only .9cm left. And that would still be on the super early side. Preferrably we make it 19 more weeks. (My OBGYN had already decided to deliver at 35 weeks since that is when I had a placental abruption with my last pregnancy).

My mother in law came up to stay with us and help with the kids and around the house, but the rest of our family lives far away. My husband and his mom are trying very hard to keep it positive for me, but I see the worry in their eyes. Any positive words or outcomes would be greatly appreciated on here.

Re: 16 weeks, Cervix is .9cm

• Options
    Hi, sorry that you have to be here. Being high risk sucks. For me, the not knowing how things will play out is the worst of it. My cervix was 7mm and 1cm dilated at 20w. Fortunately, I was able to get a cerclage....and cervix it now measures 1.5cm. MFM expects water bag to funnel past sutures as baby gets bigger, causing water to break early. Will that happen at 27w? 30w? 32w? Feel like everything is on hold while we wait to see what happens. We had to cancel travel plans and are afraid to go any significant distance from NICU. Average delivery when cervix is a 7mm is 32w, I an currently 26w4d. Hang in there, I found many, many stories about short cervix.....but almost each one fails to tell the ending. That is frustrating!!! Glad that you are being monitored closely. I would get a second opinion about the cerclage.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks because my cervix was measuring 1.8cm. I started progesterone suppositories at 22 weeks and today (35+6 weeks) I'm done. My cervix actually lengthened to 2.5cm and I'm having the cerclage removed at 37+2 weeks. They only give the shot if you've had a previous preterm delivery without any explanation. Good luck! I know it's scary but just take one day at a time :)
    imageimage image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My cervix is also 0.9cm! So very scary!!! I'm 23 weeks so too late for cerclage. Just praying I'll make it 25 weeks and viability and every week after is just a gift. My dr is monitoring cervical length every 2 weeks but would not put me on bedrest- proven to be ineffective, blah blah. I cried to her and begged her to let me take the next few weeks off work (I work a stressful job in the hospital where I'm on my feet 12 hours a day plus long commute) so that I could say I did everything in my power to stay pregnant. Will go back to work at 25 weeks. Been taking progesterone suppositories since 21 weeks when they diagnosed short cervix (was 2cm then and continues to get shorter). I'm trying to take it easy and relax, just want to keep this baby inside! Two more weeks to viability!
    Wishing you the best of luck! Try to stay positive!
  • Options
    I'm on vaginal progesterone, too and they say that it's actually the best form if the "problem" is your cervix. I had a LEEP, so mine started out short. Are you on bed rest?