March 2015 Moms
Options

Diaper size

My LO is almost 2 months old and is wearing 0-3 months clothes and weighs 12 pounds. Is it normal for her to still be in a size newborn diaper? She wears huggies and the sizing I read online says she should be in size 1

Re: Diaper size

• Options
    soxgurlsoxgurl member
    Hmm. My daughter is 12.5 lbs. she came home from the hospital wearing size 1 and now size 2. (The size 2s are a little big.) I'd say it's okay as long as they're not marking her.
  • Options
    My 10 week old is 10 pounds and is in a size 1. We use pampers. You know you should move up a diaper size when they start leaking through their diapers on a regular basis.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did my research when I switched my LO, so I understand the frustration! I wish there was a way to know for sure! Basically, the only recommendations I found were going by the weight and also if your LO is soaking through diapers. The size 1 diapers seemed huge on her at first, but now they seem normal. It doesn't hurt to try the larger size. If she leaks through or if they just seem much too big around the legs and waist, you can always go back to NB.
  • Options
    My LO is about 12-12.5 lbs and is in ones right now. He's been soaking thru the last couple days so I have been thinking about jumping up to size 2. I still have quite a few ones left but this is our first baby so will probably just save them. He wasn't in newborns long. One thing a friend of mine mentioned was that her LO got rashy and her peds said he needed a bigger size.
  • Options
    lhill88lhill88 member
    My LO is 10 weeks and almost 11 lbs. I switched her right after her soon after her 2 month appt from NB to Size 1. They seemed huge at first because she has skinny little chicken legs but I got used to them. She never leaked through the NB, I just switched based on weight. I think the NB said they were for any babies under 15 lbs and Size 1 started at like 8 lbs so since there was overlap, we decided to try out moving up.
    September Siggy Challengeimage
    Baby #1 
    Married: July 2011 TTC October 2012
    Diagnosed IF: Summer 2013 - PCOS
    Clomid cycle #1: 50mg BFN Clomid cycle #2: 100mg BFN
    IUI #1: Clomid 100mg BFN May 2014
    IVF #1: 13 eggs retrieved on 5/21/14, 11 fertilized, 5dt of 1 embryo on 5/26/14, & BFP 7/2/14!!!
    1st Beta: 286 2nd Beta: 770 3rd Beta: 3735
    EDD 3/14/15

image       image       image
  • Options
    She doesn't leak through them even over night since she sleeps all night her diaper still holds. It doesn't leave marks on her legs. I've tried size one and they come up over her belly button and when she wets them the wetness is up on her belly so I felt like I needed to stay with nb but I wasn't sure
  • Options
    Pampers Has the weight Limit shown on the box. We moved up to size 1 before he was over the nb size weight limit.i think he just over 9lbs when i went to size 1 & I just folded the top down to adjust the diaper to fit him better. And originally I ran out if nb at home and had level 1 in the closet which I thought were more nb so that's how we ended up switching and there's been no problems since and he's still in level 1 at almost 12 lbs and they fit perfectly. I find it's better to move them up a pound before the limit for the diaper weight limit.
  • Options
    I moved my LO up to size 1 diapers once he reached 10 lbs. I thought they seemed huge on him at first. He didn't soak through the nb diapers regularly, but it happened a few times. The 1's now fit him pretty well, he's 12lbs now. I'll probably move him up after his next appointment. He still has room in the size 1 right now. I'd say go by your baby's weight. If it covers the belly button, you could fold it a bit. I did and it worked fine!
  • Options
    We've been in size 1's for about three weeks. LO is ten weeks old, 9lb 14.5oz at two month check. We use Honest Company. The NB (pampers swaddles) started cutting into her little legs and we were having blow-outs out the back when we switched.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My son is 10 weeks over 14lbs and wearing a size 3 .. His legs and tummy are to chubby for any smaller size
  • Options
    My daughter is 13 weeks, probably around 12 pounds (she was 11lbs 11oz at 2 month appt) and still in size 1 - I just bought a new box, of course. She could probably go up to size 2 though since they seem to be a little snug on her. We'll finish off this box and then go up. I figure if I buy the bigger size and she's still not ready for them I'm prepared for when she is...its when I buy the smaller size and they outgrow it after using 2 diapers that bugs me :). Luckily I had some left over from my son to use on my daughter, but any that she has left I'll probably try to donate to a women's/children's shelter or something.