March 2015 Moms
Options

Bath time

How often are you bathing LO? How old is he/she? Before or after a feeding? Tips?

Thanks for your input. Hoping to start a bath time routine.

Re: Bath time

• Options
    I live in Montana and it can be super dry up here, so I usually bathe my son every few days. If I give him baths too frequently his skin gets too dry.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We only bathe our LO once or twice a week. I had read that a good routine is bathing and then the last bottle/breast time before bed, but it worked better for us to feed her and then bathe before bed. She is totally out after bathing, and won't even wake to feed, so she would just wake up after 30-45 minutes due to hunger as opposed to sleeping a few hours before waking again. I am sure every baby is different though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    dreyes4dreyes4 member
    I give my baby a bath every other night. At 8. Then she eats at 8:30. And goes to bed at 9 and doesn't get up to eat again until about 2 in the morning. She sleeps a lot better I have noticed when she does get her bath. I'm probably gonna start giving her a bath every night when shes about 4 months.
  • Options
    I bathe my baby 2-3 times per week. She also has dry skin and she screams when she gets out of the bath so it's not a calming tool at all.
  • Options
    KD32412KD32412 member
    We bathe daily. It's summer in Hawaii, and it gets very humid. I nurse, bathe baby, then nurse again and she's out. Sleeps from 9:30 till 2 am, sometimes even skips her 2am feeding till 7am. Routine is working very well for us so far.
  • Options
    I give my little miss a bath every 3 days, or after a poo explosion. Sometimes we have a bath together and she loves that more. It soothes her more when she's in the big bath. The time varies, but it's always after she has a feed. Feed, bath, massage and sleep. She loves it! Yesterday we had a shower together. That was different!! Good idea in theory, but needed and extra pair of hands! Lol the getting out part- not so fun. Mumma was wet and naked trying to keep baby happy and warm hahah. Not the prettiest sight! Plus, I had to have another shower so I could wash myself lol. Oh, and she's 8 weeks :)
  • Options
    lhill88lhill88 member
    My daughter is 10 weeks old and we bathe her every other day. No particular time during the day. She loves baths though so if she gets fussy at all, a bath instantly calms her down.
    September Siggy Challengeimage
    Baby #1 
    Married: July 2011 TTC October 2012
    Diagnosed IF: Summer 2013 - PCOS
    Clomid cycle #1: 50mg BFN Clomid cycle #2: 100mg BFN
    IUI #1: Clomid 100mg BFN May 2014
    IVF #1: 13 eggs retrieved on 5/21/14, 11 fertilized, 5dt of 1 embryo on 5/26/14, & BFP 7/2/14!!!
    1st Beta: 286 2nd Beta: 770 3rd Beta: 3735
    EDD 3/14/15

image       image       image
  • Options
    adelemsadelems member
    I'm not a fan of daily bathing... With my first we only bathed once or twice a week unless it was a particularly dirty day. But... In attempt to create a bed time routine for our second baby who is having trouble sleeping we have taken up at least relaxing in some warm water after evening feeding. He really seems to enjoy it and it helps him sleep. We probably only use soap every couple of days. He hates baths at first but I think it's become a nice quiet time before bed with his big sibling. He nurses at 7, bath, then bed by 8. He will sleep until 3am and then back to bed until 7
  • Options
    I bathe mine every other day. She's 8 weeks and I usually do it when she's fully awake. Sometimes it's after a bottle sometimes it's not
  • Options
    My LO is eight weeks old and I have been giving her baths three times a week. Daily bathing seems unnecessary since she's not getting terribly dirty and she does have a bit of cradle cap. We do it in the mornings since baths aren't her favorite; no screaming, but they also don't seem to relax her the way others have described. I'm hoping once she is able to be more fully immersed in water it should be more calming, but she's in a sling in her bathtub for now.
  • Options
    We bathe DD (9w) two or three times a week, using J&J head to toe soap and J&J tearless shampoo. We found that her skin would become dry and start to peel, so we cut back on the body soap, using it only on her hands, feet and bum area. Warm water is sufficient for the rest of her body. We still use the shampoo because she's got a full head of hair that can become greasy. Her dry skin is gone- very soft and I don't use lotion on her (no need).

She used to flip out when we'd put her in the water, so we found that keeping a warm washcloth on her belly for the duration of the bath kept her comfy and calm. So far so good!
  • Options
    NLB2009NLB2009 member
    I'm in the minority I think. I only do baths once or twice a week. He seems to have my skin which dries out with washing. But I do wash his hands and face every day with Johnson and Johnson hand and face wipes.
  • Options
    Our lo is 11 weeks and we bath him every night about 11/11:30pm with a lavender baby bath soak. He's then fed, changed, put to bed and sleeps right through to 8/8:30am. He decides his wake up time not us (I'm bf on demand). I have woken him to feed if he sleeps much longer than 8:30.
  • Options
    Our LO is 11 weeks and we bathe him every night [as part of our nightly routine] at 8:45-9:00. We alternate nights so baby gets used to baths from both mom and dad. He really enjoys baths, squirming and happily kicking his feet. We bought a Primo Eurotub, so it makes it so much easier to bathe him. Afterward, we rub him down with baby oil and put pj's on him. We then do his night feeding either nursing if I feed him or bottle if dad feeds him around 9:45-10:00. He's asleep (but usually fights not to fall asleep) by 11:00. He will sleep sometimes right through to 6:00 or 7:00, but sometimes wakes at about 4:00 or 5:00 to get diaper changed and feed. I bf on demand. If he's not awake by 7:00 and slept all night, I will wake him and feed him. Baby oil seems to keep his skin from getting too dry. We do skip baths some nights if he seems tired (like if we've been out visiting all day). This works well for us.
  • Options
    NLB2009 said:

I'm in the minority I think. I only do baths once or twice a week. He seems to have my skin which dries out with washing. But I do wash his hands and face every day with Johnson and Johnson hand and face wipes.

I have the same schedule... Pretty much twice a week but if we have a blowout we sneak an extra one in. I feel like I'm constantly washing his hands! I don't know how they get so dirty (he gets "stuff" between his fingers).