Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Starting rice cereal help!!!

LO is four months old and Dr. wants us to start on rice cereal and 1 ounce of formula. We been doing it now since Sunday and it's not going so well. Every time he is presented with the spoon he cries. He cries so hard that I have put it in a bottle just to get them to eat it and he will eat it in the bottle. Is this normal for him to hate the spoon and the beginning and should I just keep with it or is he just too young to be using the spoon? I hate seeing him cry when it's mealtime I don't want him to be upset any time that he has to eat or associate being upset with eating. Any suggestions????

Re: Starting rice cereal help!!!

• I guess all babies are different.  We started rice cereal when our lo was 4 months and he loved it!  I would just keep working at it.  Make it more watery at first and not so thick. Also maybe try letting him almost suck it off the spoon,
  • 6 months is the newest recommendation for starting solids and rice cereal really is a pointless food to start with or to feed at all. Your LO sounds like he's not ready for it so I would hold off for a couple weeks and try again later but with something other than rice cereal.

Also, DON'T PUT IT IN A BOTTLE! That is a choking hazard and not recommended unless your LO has reflux.

• Loading the player...
  • Back off. He's not ready.
  • Ok thanks. I will take a break. I didn't know that it was a choking hazard on the bottle. I won't do that. Thanks for the advice!!!
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    My suggestion, he's just not used to the spoon. Our doctor recommended our LO, (who will be 4 months tomorrow) to start on rice cereal and vegetables. That was two weeks ago. Every baby is different. There's no stating you have to wait until he's 6 months to start feeding him. If he's ready and hungry then feed your child the way you see fit. I  start with rice in the bottles, one teaspoon for every ounce of formula he eats is what I was told. (It's also on the side of the rice cereal box too.) My first baby (who's now 4) didn't take to the rice until about 6 months, but baby #2 was ready at 3 months. He was eating 12-13 ounces of formula every 3 hours. NO spit up, no throwing up, he was just a hungry baby! (Dad's 6'6.)

I would let him play with the spoon, get him comfortable with it, maybe he just doesn't like the spoon. Or sometimes my LO cries when I'm not feeding him fast enough. He might not like it now, but try again in a couple of days or a week or so. Good luck!
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited May 2015
    Jtsma10 said:
    My suggestion, he's just not used to the spoon. Our doctor recommended our LO, (who will be 4 months tomorrow) to start on rice cereal and vegetables. That was two weeks ago. Every baby is different. There's no stating you have to wait until he's 6 months to start feeding him. If he's ready and hungry then feed your child the way you see fit. I  start with rice in the bottles, one teaspoon for every ounce of formula he eats is what I was told. (It's also on the side of the rice cereal box too.) My first baby (who's now 4) didn't take to the rice until about 6 months, but baby #2 was ready at 3 months. He was eating 12-13 ounces of formula every 3 hours. NO spit up, no throwing up, he was just a hungry baby! (Dad's 6'6.)

I would let him play with the spoon, get him comfortable with it, maybe he just doesn't like the spoon. Or sometimes my LO cries when I'm not feeding him fast enough. He might not like it now, but try again in a couple of days or a week or so. Good luck!

Your pediatrician has outdated information. The new recommendation IS 6 months. Plus, putting rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and completely pointless. It's empty calories and shouldn't take the place of BM or formula. If your LO is hungry, give them more milk.
  • My LO is 4 months and pedi recommended that we start with rice cereal. We waited a few days and I reintroduced it again yesterday and he was more ready. I also paired it with some apples that were a beechnut sample that was mailed to me (I know veggies are better...it's just what I had on hand and hadn't gotten to making the veggies yet). He did much better! Thanks for the advice everyone!!
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    edited May 2015
    Jtsma10 said:

Your pediatrician has outdated information. The new recommendation IS 6 months. Plus, putting rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and completely pointless. It's empty calories and shouldn't take the place of BM or formula. If your LO is hungry, give them more milk.

Not sure if you read the part about how much he was eating every 2-3 hours??? 12-13 ounces. SOME doctors might recommend that, mine doesn't and I know a lot of other doctors who don't. Thanks for your suggestions but I'll feed my child the way my doctor and I see fit. We don't feel that rice cereal is completely pointless nor a choking hazard to them. EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. I've done it for my sons,nephews, daycare kids and my Pedi's, plastic surgeon, genetics doctor and nephrology doctor all recommend that. Sorry, I'm going to take their word over what YOUR new recommendation is. 

Side note: My LO has a cleft lip and a multi-cystic displastic kidney disorder. Basically, his left kidney has cysts surrounding it, kind of like a bunch of grapes on a vine and his kidney is inside that. His left kidney is shrinking and it not functioning.  The extra amount of protein from the formula is not good for his right kidney, the good one.  My son has seen more doctors in his 4 months of life than most people have in their lifetime. 

P.S Our parents went by the "outdated" and old information and we turned out just fine...Well most of us. 
    edited May 2015
    Jtsma10 said:
    Jtsma10 said:

Not sure if you read the part about how much he was eating every 2-3 hours??? 12-13 ounces. SOME doctors might recommend that, mine doesn't and I know a lot of other doctors who don't. Thanks for your suggestions but I'll feed my child the way my doctor and I see fit. We don't feel that rice cereal is completely pointless nor a choking hazard to them. EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT. I've done it for my sons,nephews, daycare kids and my Pedi's, plastic surgeon, genetics doctor and nephrology doctor all recommend that. Sorry, I'm going to take their word over what YOUR new recommendation is. 

Side note: My LO has a cleft lip and a multi-cystic displastic kidney disorder. Basically, his left kidney has cysts surrounding it, kind of like a bunch of grapes on a vine and his kidney is inside that. His left kidney is shrinking and it not functioning.  The extra amount of protein from the formula is not good for his right kidney, the good one.  My son has seen more doctors in his 4 months of life than most people have in their lifetime. 

P.S Our parents went by the "outdated" and old information and we turned out just fine...Well most of us. 

Ah, this post explains why you are so angry. Sorry your LO has so many problems. That must be really hard :( 
  • Our pedi said start practicing with baby foods as of 4mths. He also said between 4-6mths it all for practice with a lot of babies. They are just trying to get used to eating at this age.

My newest LO just ate a whole jar of apples today for the first time. In about 2 weeks. I realized it is bc she didn't like the rice cereal from the times before when mixing it with fruits or veggies. I also realized it was causing more gas on her tummy. So maybe back off from it and just do fruits and veggies??

This is my 4th child and all of them started foods at 4mths. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    Seriously? That post sounded angry? How rude can you be to someone @bigboobsmcgee? I'm frustrated at moms like you who shame others because they parent differently. I've read your post where you told someone (who I agreed with) to stop spewing that horrible information over other boards.

Are you kidding me? My LO's "problems" are not why I am "angry". You have no right to talk or judge. And somehow, I don't believe your sympathy. All you do is troll on these boards to make others moms feel stupid and belittle them for asking for help. I have yet to find one post where your advice was actually polite and genuine. 
    edited May 2015
    Jtsma10 said:
    Seriously? That post sounded angry? How rude can you be to someone @bigboobsmcgee? I'm frustrated at moms like you who shame others because they parent differently. I've read your post where you told someone (who I agreed with) to stop spewing that horrible information over other boards.

Are you kidding me? My LO's "problems" are not why I am "angry". You have no right to talk or judge. And somehow, I don't believe your sympathy. All you do is troll on these boards to make others moms feel stupid and belittle them for asking for help. I have yet to find one post where your advice was actually polite and genuine. 

I'm sorry you feel that way. I really meant no disrespect to your child in that post.

It sounds like you don't like me because of the advice I give and there's nothing I can do about that. I am different from you, yes, and apparently you don't like that which is fine. We don't have to agree but please stop following me around, flagging my posts and harassing me. You are the one shaming me and you need to stop.

• @Jtsma10 you joined TB a few days ago and you are already a white knight who thinks you know me so well! LOL

• Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    edited May 2015
    Not sure if you realize but we both have a LO that's in the 3-6 month range so I've read the posts that applied to me and you were on them. ALL of them. When you post everywhere it may seem like i'm obsessed with you, when in reality, I just commented on 4 posts to your hundreds. Perception is not reality. 

BTW, I've been on The Knot for a while and actively on TB for only a few days. Does that make me less experienced or invaluable because I'm new on the forum? I'm not trying to shame you, only wanted to make you realize that your comments are not as helpful as you make think that they are. 

Are you saying you're just like Regina George? Because my father, the inventor of Toaster Strudels would not be too pleased to hear about this.
  • Jtsma10Jtsma10 member
    And really? You want to talk about flagging posts? Look who's calling the kettle black. If anyone is harrassing it you, especally with your comments about my son. Sorry you feel that way. 
  • Jtsma10 said:
    And really? You want to talk about flagging posts? Look who's calling the kettle black. If anyone is harrassing it you, especally with your comments about my son. Sorry you feel that way. 

With all the other BS aside,  I would NEVER EVER say anything negative about someone's child. Yes, I called you angry but I truly do feel bad that your son has the problems you described. My daughter has her own medical issues and even if she didn't, I would never put down a child or be an asshole about kids. Their parents...well, I'm BRUTALLY honest and that obviously rubs you the wrong way. That's how I am.

• Jtsma10 said:
    Not sure if you realize but we both have a LO that's in the 3-6 month range so I've read the posts that applied to me and you were on them. ALL of them. When you post everywhere it may seem like i'm obsessed with you, when in reality, I just commented on 4 posts to your hundreds. Perception is not reality. 

BTW, I've been on The Knot for a while and actively on TB for only a few days. Does that make me less experienced or invaluable because I'm new on the forum? I'm not trying to shame you, only wanted to make you realize that your comments are not as helpful as you make think that they are. 

Are you saying you're just like Regina George? Because my father, the inventor of Toaster Strudels would not be too pleased to hear about this.

And this bolded line is so incredibly insulting because I am VERY helpful. I wouldn't be on here if I didn't want to help. Yes, some people piss me off and I let them know that but I have 2 kids so I'm on various boards on here and very rarely am I snarky or snotty. Only when people are over the top with horrible advice.

You are just as snarky with me as I am to other people.

• LO is four months old and Dr. wants us to start on rice cereal and 1 ounce of formula. We been doing it now since Sunday and it's not going so well. Every time he is presented with the spoon he cries. He cries so hard that I have put it in a bottle just to get them to eat it and he will eat it in the bottle. Is this normal for him to hate the spoon and the beginning and should I just keep with it or is he just too young to be using the spoon? I hate seeing him cry when it's mealtime I don't want him to be upset any time that he has to eat or associate being upset with eating. Any suggestions????

No no no. The whole point of rice cereal is to get LO used to chewing & swallowing. Putting the cereal in the bottle is not only a choking hazard, but defeats the purpose of feeding the cereal. There is nothing inherently nutritious about it.

If he cries then you wait. The only benefit of rice cereal is LO learning the mouth motions of mastication.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Jtsma10 said:

Um, what? You DO sound inexplicably angry about sound advice that has medical backing & support of the AAP.

Perhaps the trying & stressful home situation & your LO's medical challenges are affecting your emotional state more than you realize? You are lashing out in appropriately towards @Bigboobsmcgee who expressed genuine empathy for you.

Your reaction is unfair & really uncalled for @Jtsma10 . I really think you could use the help of a trained therapist to handle your anger problems.

You absolutely are over reacting & acting in a passive aggressive way (and openly abusive now). Take a step back.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Jtsma10 said:

Did you really just try to pull a "you don't know WHO I am?" Type exclamation? Your father could be Einstein & that doesn't entitle you to verbally abuse someone & harass them just because you disagree with them.

@Bigboobsmcgee is one of my favorite, knowledgable & sweet posters. If you @Jtsma10 , would stop arm-flailing & spazzing out then you might see that BBMcGee is really very awesome. It's very unbecoming & unfair for you to rail on her like this.

Please get help, immediately. It's painfully obvious you are in need of serious therapy.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Are you kidding me, verbal abuse and harassment?? Never have I called names to either one of you or belittled ANYONE in my posts. This is old news, you're bringing up something that has been dropped and let go of.

It's cute how you come to her defense though. Just because I don't parent or think the same way as you do does NOT mean I need therapy or help. How rude can you be? What gives you the right to belittle someone that way because they don't agree with you? I'm not "railing" on her, I said my peace on some issues I didn't agree with. Its over and said. We can agree to disagree like adults. 

And by the way, I didn't pull that "do you know who I am" card. It's a line from the movie Mean Girls. A very popular line but apparently you didn't realize it. You're on the same war path and please, just let it go.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"