2nd Trimester

Metronidazole

Did anyone use the above tabblets against BV (bacterial vaginosis)please? Is it safe during pregnancy? I am 15 weeks pregnant. Thank you.

Re: Metronidazole

• A quick Google search shows that it is class B, therefore there is no proven risk in humans. Your doctor prescribed it to you (presumably) knowing that you are pregnant. You should trust their professional judgement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • csy2947csy2947 member

A quick Google search shows that it is class B, therefore there is no proven risk in humans. Your doctor prescribed it to you (presumably) knowing that you are pregnant. You should trust their professional judgement.

Agree on going with your doctor. A quick note though, for some poeple that stuff is VERY hard on your stomach (it made me so sick when I wasn't pregnant). I'd ask your doctor if the gel would be safe for baby (its applied vaginally) if you have any stomach problems. For me it accumulated and each day was worse than the next. The gel doesn't effect your digestion. Not trying to scare you, I just had such a terrible experience with that stuff. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the answers. Just started to take them so I will see how it goes. The doctor said it might cause stomach problems in that case need to go back to her for the gel.
  • BV is more harmful to your pregnancy than the meds (can cause preterm labor). I took metro gel last pregnancy around 23 weeks due to BV. I was in the ER due to bleeding thanks to cervical irritation from the BV.

Please beware you may have chunky/stringy white flecks in your discharge from the gel, it is normal and not harmful just old gel clotting up. I had it and it freaked me out.
  • I was so prescribed metronidazole - my doctor said the same thing , it's safe and alot more risky to not treat bv .