1st Trimester
Options

Newbie/Concerns

Hi.  I am new here and
so thankful for this board and all of you.

Pregnancy is a scary thing (or at least it is for a worry wart like me),
so I am thankful for the knowledge and experience that I am finding here.
  I am 6 weeks along and next month I will be
41 yrs old.
  I am excited, but very
nervous.
  I had a miscarriage in 2013 so
I am hoping everything will work out this time.

I am experiencing frequent urination and constant lower abdominal pressure/slight pain, which has me a
little on edge.
  My OB will not see me
until 8 weeks so I have called my dr to make an appt to be tested for a UTI.
 I realize these could be early pregnancy symptoms, but I am prone to get UTIs so I would like to rule
that out.
  If I do have a UTI, I will worry about taking antibiotics.  Also, I realized today that I have not been
taking enough of my prenatal vitamin.
  I
am taking the Garden of Life Organics and the serving size is three pills.
  I have been taking only one!!!  I feel like an idiot.  Most of the time regular vitamins are one pill
a day so I assumed that prenatal would be the same.
  This has me freaking out a bit.  Again, glad to be here and I am looking
forward to getting to know you ladies and finding some peace of mind among you:)

Re: Newbie/Concerns

• Options
    Mandy_HMandy_H member
    Sorry for the weird format.  I have no idea how that happened....
  • Options
    I am a worrier, due to having multiple MC. I take the gummy vitamins and it's just 2 a day everyday, same brand I used with my DD. It's really important to read those packages, especially the vitamins. That said you can't change what's already done, just fix it, which I'm sure you have. I'm not a doctor but IMO I think you'll be okay. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, especially water, if you think you may have a uti coming on I personally suggest you try drinking cranberry juice, and the obvious water. Hopefully that helps until you can get to your doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mandy_HMandy_H member
    Thanks for your reply. I eat a really good diet so I'm thankful for that since I have not been taking enough of the vitamin. I feel like I have been so careful with everything so I am really mad at myself for missing something so obvious. Lesson definitely learned. I have been drinking tons of water & pure cranberry juice for a week and still no relief. I have an appt in the morning to check for UTI. The constant lower abdomen pain is really worrying me so at least I can rule out the UTI. Thanks again:)
  • Options
    Don't be mad at yourself, we're human and make mistakes. Hopefully you get some good results tomorrow. Good Luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy!! \:D/
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited May 2015
    Welcome and congratulations.

So just a heads up about the UTI testing. I am like you. I get them frequently. In fact, most of 2012 was spent on antibiotics for UTIs and a couple got quite severe so I know where you're coming from. And I've done a lot of tests for them.

Make sure you pee a bit before peeing in the cup or it could contaminate the specimen. Don't touch the inside of the cup either or let anything get into it if you can help it. If it gets contaminated, they report back with what they call a "mixed culture" or something and you'll have to do it again. Mrrr.. 

Pressure and ab cramping is normal - your uterus is growing. I joke with my mom and husband that it's like hitting puberty and simultaneously being six all over again. Not only is everything hormonal as hell but you're growing like a kindergartener. So there is going to be some weird feelings. Some days I feel like Alice after taking a swig of the Drink Me bottle. If you're not bleeding and the pain is not crippling, don't panic. 

I also have the 3-a-day pills. Pain in the arse. Why don't they just cram it all into one? 
  • Options
    I like this thread. You basically gave me an excuse to rant about everything that has been grinding my gears today :)
  • Options
    Hi there and congratulations. I am sorry for your loss.

Always best to rule out things like UTIs, especially if you have a history of them.

Try not to blame yourself for the vitamin thing, it's an easy mistake to make, and it certainly wasn't like you were willfully not caring. Plus you were still getting extra vitamins even if it wasn't up to the full dose.

You might also like to check out the pregnant over 35 board too. It's a great bunch of ladies, a lot of whom have a history if miscarriage or difficulty TTC, so completely get the nervousness that goes with the excitement.

Best wishes to you in your pregnancy.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Mandy_HMandy_H member
    Thanks ladies.  You have certainly made me feel better.  UTI was negative.  I did not experience this kind of pressure/cramping with the first pregnancy that ended in miscarriage.  I guess every pregnancy is different and I just need to stop worrying.  Thanks for putting my mind at ease and giving me a laugh with the Alice reference:) 
  • Options
    Yay, glad you are okay.
  • Options
    @Mandy_H - seriously? I had no idea that a serving size of vitamins could/would be more than one? Who knew? Never thought to look. DS is 18 months, so it doesn't matter now, but that's weird.

I get it. I worried about everything in the world too. And like I always tell DH, I know it's illogical, but when I'm worry you can't change my mind, and telling me to calm down doesn't help (it actually does the opposite).
  • Options
    Mandy_HMandy_H member
    @YogaSandy .....seriously...I couldn't believe it. Glad I'm not the only one that hadn't thought to look. And I tell DH the same thing. He doesn't understand that it would be really nice to be less of a worrier.