January 2016 Moms
Options

I ate lunch meat and cheese by accident! Tell me I'm going to be OK

so I am 7 weeks 3 days and in a rush this evening, I accidentally ate a small sandwich with sandwich meat and cheese. I know you're supposed to avoid it at all costs, but I was so hungry and I completely didn't think about it. Plus no one at work could stop me because no one at work knows yet. did I really screw up? Now I am super nervous... Help?

Re: I ate lunch meat and cheese by accident! Tell me I'm going to be OK

• Options
    You will be perfectly fine! Many women including myself eat lunch meat once in a while! Don't stress too much, even if it's hard ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NenaB54NenaB54 member
    My doctor said not to worry about that and that he doesn't know why people say you can't have cold cuts. He said that there is no need to worry about listeria unless you are eating the meat from a third world country, and that in the us this is not a concern. I wouldn't worry. I have mostly stayed away from it anyway because people have said nitrates are bad for you - but if I have a little it's no big deal. I don't think having one sandwich is going to harm the baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    rachel10488rachel10488 member
    edited May 2015
    I actually did this a few weeks ago! It wasn't until my husband pointed out "didn't you say you're not supposed to eat lunch meat?" That I realized it.
    I was fine. The risk is with listeria which I believe is bacteria that we can be more prone to ill effects when pregnant. But 9 times out of 10 it's fine. Just best to be avoided as much as possible because of that 1 time chance. Or just try to remember to heat your sand which! The bacteria is killed when heated :)
  • Options
    cnmagnicnmagni member
    Oh my goodness, thank you all so much! Y'all really put my mind at ease!
  • Options
    You are fine and if you are worried about nitrates buy the natural deli meat. All I ate last pregnancy was sandwiches lol don't worry.
  • Options
    Like others have said, there have been more listeria outbreaks in produce. And the latest one to make the news was ice cream. No one tells you to avoid any of that stuff. In fact, I can't even recall ever hearing about a listeria outbreak in meat or cheese. Team eat the meat.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    I ate a Turkey lunch meat sandwich yesterday without thinking, and I'm still alive ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MegVH87MegVH87 member
    I'm almost 100% positive you'll be fine. But I just avoid for that chance. I actually had Listeria poisoning during the CO outbreak several years ago (not pregnant) and it was seriously no joke. Lost 20+lbs over a 2 month period. It sucked. The chances are slim, but they are definitely not non existent. Like anything else in life, just have to decide and be comfortable with your decision :)
  • Options
    Listeria isn't a huge concern in this country, and for those that are concerned about nitrates-it's just salt. We all know salt in large amounts isn't great for you so limit it. Also, eat cheese to your hearts content as long as its pasteurized and most cheese in America is
  • Options
    Lol I ate lunch meat most days during my first pregnancy. Trust me, it was one of the safer options in my work's cafeteria ;)
  • Options
    The stress will do more harm than lunch meat or cheese. Relax and take a deep breath :) The reality is unless you're doing some truly horrible things you're very unlikely to cause any damage.

(Obviously I'm not negating that some things can pose a small risk, and teratogens do exist, but our society puts far more pressure and fear on us than necessary, IMHO)
  • Options
    My midwife says her only concern with lunch meat is the nitrates and those are fine every now and then, but there are multiple commercial brands that now make nitrate free cold cuts. Like PP's have said the recent listeria cases have been in produce and ice cream and I don't hear one person giving a pregnant women grief for eating their veggies or craving a bowl of ice cream. If you are super worried about it still then feel at peace knowing that if you had contracted listeria you would definitely know by now. If you're still worried about lunch meat in the future just heat it up before eating and that will kill the bacteria. I love Subway and I've been getting toasted subs there once a week. I used to work there and know they don't serve nitrate free meats but omg the cravings lol
  • Options

I eat lunch meat and cheese.

Last pregnancy I ate sushi. *gasp*

Yep. Had sushi a week or so ago. Yum
  • Options
    I feel like all I ate with my DS was sandwiches, and half the time I didn't get them toasted or baked... You'll be fine!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
      BabyFetus Ticker