August 2015 Moms
Options

Maternity shoot

I am a FTM and cannot for the life of me figure out what to wear for my maternity shoot :(( any suggestions/ideas? Feel free to share pics of your maternity shoot from this baby or previous babies I would love to see some ideas

Re: Maternity shoot

• Options
    Check out etsy or Pinterest for ideas. I won't be having mine until June but that's how I got some good ideas.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Depending on weather I think I'm just going to wear a maxi skirt and tank. Ours will be outdoors lost to sunset so I don't think we'll be doing any outfit changes. For our first we had Blackhawks jerseys on with a little Blackhawks onsie. We didn't know the gender, and don't for this one either.

Your photographer can give you some good tips as well if you ask.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am wearing a white vintage looking dress and DH is wearing a white shirt/jeans. It's a sunset beach shoot. We got ideas from Pinterest, Instagram, and our photographer. The shoot is next week.
  • Options
    I'm planning on a Maxi dress. Also looked at pinterest for inspiration
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    Ahh, I'm torn whether I even want to do a maternity shoot!
  • Options
    In doing one in florida next weekend. :D@amorgan71313 your dress is beautiful.
    @kedbach do one!
  • Options
    @heath3er thank you!! And I agree, you should do one @kedbach. I was on the fence too but I'm glad I did. BTW I sent you both messages :)
  • Options
    Who knows but I agree pinterest is good. I say dress your body to make the belly pop :) figuratively speaking of course. I'm starting to think about that now.
  • Options

I wore a solid color maxi dress when we took ours 2 weeks ago. I'm really happy with how they turned out! I felt like dark colors didn't show off my bump as well as lighter colors and stripes might have looked too busy. Pinterest has great ideas! Ask your photographer too.

Where did you get your dress? I'm having a hard time finding one in a solid color that I like. I have a patterned one I LOVE but I think it may be too much. Thanks!
  • Options
    @hollieileen I got in on clearance at motherhood this winter so unfortunately I'm not sure if they still have it available but definitely check their website. They usually have a few different maxi dress options.
  • Options
    @amorgan71313 your pictures are gorgeous :)

How many weeks were you during the shoot?
  • Options

I'm wearing this dress. I plan on having my husband wear something more neutral like black or grey.

Do grey! That would look so good with the purple :)
  • Options
    Thank you @MiddleSister22 !!! I was 26.5 weeks which is probably earlier than most people take maternity pictures. I wanted pictures when I was still feeling good and not too huge :)
  • Options
    I recommend a solid maxi dress or maxi skirt and tank. Something in relatively neutral colors (think colors found in nature right now). You want it to be form fitting enough to show off your bump. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I was 26.5 weeks which is probably earlier than most people take maternity pictures. I wanted pictures when I was still feeling good and not too huge :)

I plan on doing the same!
  • Options
    I'm scheduled for 31 weeks and I'm a little nervous! I'm 28 weeks and feel like now would have been better!
  • Options

I'm scheduled for 31 weeks and I'm a little nervous! I'm 28 weeks and feel like now would have been better!

I think 31 will still be ok. I wouldn't ever take maternity pics before 28 weeks. Still too early for me. I'll be doing mine at 30. I think you'll be fine :)
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    doing mine at 28 weeks - just ordered a dress off motherhood and a maxi dress off thyme maternity........its coral and going to pair it with a denim jacket. not sure what the hubby is going to wear yet.....
  • Options
    I was thinking this dress but now I might be wanting a solid color? We are taking outdoor photos... image
  • Options
    ptelfraptelfra member
    I'm 28w3d and I'm pretty big already so I'm having it at 31 weeks. I chose to just do a solid white maxi dress that shows off the bump with maybe a flower head piece? Haven't thought about that part yet but I am excited!
  • Options
    We took ours yesterday, I am 28wk4d. I wore a white vintage looking maxi dress. My bump is nice and big and I felt very comfortable in certain poses.
  • Options
    We have a pretty backyard, so I'm thinking about having my husband take pics this weekend. He's pretty camera savvy and I have some photo software. I have a black and white almost victorian printed dress that flatters my baby bump.
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    sjra1028 said:

We have a pretty backyard, so I'm thinking about having my husband take pics this weekend. He's pretty camera savvy and I have some photo software. I have a black and white almost victorian printed dress that flatters my baby bump.

I might do the same. He's a great photographer and I just hate paying someone for something my husband is so good at!! I want him in the pictures but maybe he can sneak in with the tripod for a few?
  • Options
    @kedbach exactly! I don't want to spend money on something we can do ourselves. We've already spent hundreds on ultrasounds and such. But I know we could do our own shoot for less than $20 and we can take our time with it.
  • Options
    kedbach said:

Ahh, I'm torn whether I even want to do a maternity shoot!

I actually promised my hubby I won't make him do this, because it doesn't mean all that much to me. We definitely have pics of ourselves throughout the pregnancy, but professional photo shoots are like his nightmare (although he diligently does them every fall for Christmas cards!) The issue is, a friend who is a very talented photographer is gifting us a maternity shoot for our shower, lol. I'm thinking I will ask her if we can maybe get her to take newborn photos instead, which is something I definitely do want. 
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    @stow2009 that's too funny! Aren't all guys the same?! That's a great idea though!
  • Options

I'm wearing this dress. I plan on having my husband wear something more neutral like black or grey.

I love your dress!  Where did you find it?
  • Options
    Trefek1Trefek1 member
    edited May 2015
    I am either purchasing or making my own belly sash. I think they are adorable, but the ones on Etsy are SO expensive. So, I' searching Pinterest and eBay. The sash will look best with a plain white tank and most likely a solid maxi. I have a few, and when I get it, I will test out which dress/top it looks best with. 

Our final decision (or should I say mine) to do the shoot came because I found someone to do an hour with full rights and edits of a 1 hour shoot for $65. I couldn't help it, such a great deal!!

• Options
    Question..... I'm doing my pics today. I originally wanted to wear a black maxi dress with butterfly sleeves. I found a pretty sleeveless pink dress. I have tattoos on my arms and one arm is a half sleeve. My co-workers and clients want to see my pics when they're ready, but they have no clue about my tattoos. Should I go with the butterfly sleeved dress instead? I don't want them to know I'm covered. Or should I have pics with both dresses? I'm doing them at home, so changing isn't a big deal.
  • Options

I was thinking this dress but now I might be wanting a solid color? We are taking outdoor photos... image

I asked my photographer bc I couldn't find a solid dress I like. She said she actually likes when people wear fun patterns. I think what's most important is you feel good in it! So for that reason, I've decided to rock the pattern and not worry. You look adorable, by the way :-)
  • Options
    My coworker is gifting us a maternity and newborn shoot. She is such a sweet girl. We are going to do the maternity shoot by the river in another 3-4 weeks and I'm thinking about this dress :)
  • Options
    kat+1kat+1 member
    I did mine at 36 weeks and I loved the two dresses I wore.
  • Options
    I stepped mine up and so excited that I did. I used loridorman.com during a visit to California. You could look at the site for inspiration. She provided all dresses. It was an amazing day!! Her newborn photos are wonderful also.
  • Options
    I got an awesome dress at destination maternity (the purple one in the photo, but they have different colors). It's a super comfortable jersey material and flattering on any body type! I also swear by Liz Lange maternity dresses from target. Here are a couple of samples of our maternity photos :)