August 2015 Moms

Refusing 3 hour glucose test

Hey ladies! Anyone refuse the 3 hour glucose test? I work for a nutritionist and feel that my failing of the 1 hour test was a fluke. I am not ever weight, and have non of the precursors to GD. I have a glucose monitor and are doing 4 sticks a day to test my glucose and am also watching what I eat a little better. If my glucose is never abnormal, I feel that putting myself through that misery is pointless. Of course if I do have an abnormal glucose level, then of course I will do it.

Re: Refusing 3 hour glucose test

• I would ask your OB or MW about this plan and get their opinion. They could give you the risks and benefits or medical literature on the topic. Ultimately you have the right to choose or refuse your own treatment, but should carefully consider possible risks to your baby of any tests you refuse. In the end you have to make the best decision you can for your family, but in my opinion should do so based on current scientific research

• What was your score on the one hour? If it was 135 or so I'd find this plan more reasonable than if it were 185. There are people who get GD who don't have any of the red flags, so I probably wouldn't risk it if your score on the one hour was in the higher range.
  • Loading the player...
  • mjpensylmjpensyl member
    edited May 2015
    I tried to push mine back to June due to work and my doctor's office was not having it! Basically they said something along the lines of if I did happen to have GD that went undetected and it would cause a miscarriage, it would come back on them. Ultimately it is up to you and it sounds like you know more what you're doing than I do. I did the 3-hour test yesterday and it was not bad at all!
  • dkizz82dkizz82 member
    I failed by 4 points but I want to make sure I'm fine. I could never live with myself if something happened, due to Gd, and I refused the test.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • J&D2007J&D2007 member
    I agree with pps, why not just take the test? Its a harmless few hours of your time to make sure you and the baby will be as healthy as possible.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • If you're convinced it's a fluke, then why not take a 3 hour which would prove it's a fluke? There's plenty of borderline people that just have to watch diet and aren't put on insulin or metformin.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My sister in law is rail thin and eats very healthy and had GD. Take the test to be sure.

• I failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour at 23 weeks. Thank God my OB tested with the 3 hour again at 28 weeks because I do indeed have GD. I too had none of the signs of Gestational Diabetes. I would take it 5 times for the well being of my child.
  • If you have a meter I would just do that
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Saratiff said:

You do know there is a metabolic difference between gestational diabetes and diabetes type 2. Body weight really has nothing to do with it. And I would much rather do the 3 hour than stick my self 4 times a day.

Exactly.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would, and you can be underweight and have gestational diabetes. I would go do the 3hour it's not worth your health or the babies.
  • If you are already monitoring and will continue to do so, there is absolutely no point in doing the 3 hour test, as that is what the management of GD would involve!
    me (32) him (35)
    DS (2010) DD (2012)
    Baby# 3 due 14/08/2015
  • If you are already monitoring and will continue to do so, there is absolutely no point in doing the 3 hour test, as that is what the management of GD would involve!

This was exactly my point. Unless my levels are extremely high (which I confirmed with my dr) the next step (if I do have GD) would be monitoring what I am eating and to do finger sticks. So, if I am already doing this and will continue through the end of my pregnancy why would I put myself or my baby at risk drinking something full of chemicals and crap? It's not about sacrifice. I am obviously sacrificing. Who wants to finger stick 4 times a day? And if I had even on abnormal test, then I would jump right to taking the 3 hour test. I even offered to retake the 1 hour with the fast and see how that one came out.

But have any of you researched what's inside that glucola you are drinking? Please tell me how a healthier diet, meal charting and glucose monitoring is worse for me than putting all that crap into my body? I can't imagine the sugar high and then subsequent crash is that healthy for the baby either.
  • I was actually searching for other women who might possibly have had the same thoughts as I do. I can't be the only one who has questioned this. I have nurses on both sides of the opinion. I thought that I would see if anyone else had taken their right to refuse the test, or to even question the test.
  • You know what else is misery? Labor. You're gonna do that though.

• 'm sorry... I work for a nutritionist. He obviously has a strong opinion about the things we put into our bodies. I am sure you have avoided a thing or two while being pregnant for the sake of your baby. I'm not the one worried about the sacrifice. I'm good either way. I was just curious. I will probably end up doing both the test and the monitoring. I was just looking for opinions of other people who might have questioned the test.
  • 'm sorry... I work for a nutritionist. He obviously has a strong opinion about the things we put into our bodies. I am sure you have avoided a thing or two while being pregnant for the sake of your baby. I'm not the one worried about the sacrifice. I'm good either way. I was just curious. I will probably end up doing both the test and the monitoring. I was just looking for opinions of other people who might have questioned the test.

If it's the glucola you're worried about, why not suggest an alternative? I know people who have done that. My OB gave the option of drinking Odwalla Juice rather than 50g concentrate glucola. I believe there are other non chemical alternatives as well.

If it's the glucola you're worried about, why not suggest an alternative? I know people who have done that. My OB gave the option of drinking Odwalla Juice rather than 50g concentrate glucola. I believe there are other non chemical alternatives as well.
    Unfortunately I did. My dr will not allow me to do anything but the glucola. I have offered several alternatives that have been denied. That was why I was wondering if anyone else was feeling the same as I was.
  • EmEeGeeEmEeGee member
    I guess I just don't understand not doing something recommended by my dr. If you're watching your own glucose levels and monitoring your diet already, that's all well and good. But having the confirmed diagnosis of GD on your record would allow your doc to monitor your baby's growth and possibly other things (I won't pretend to know everything it would prompt them to look for). I like to have my doc in the loop and want to know what science says about my health, not just keep an eye on things myself.
  • Saratiff said:

You do know there is a metabolic difference between gestational diabetes and diabetes type 2. Body weight really has nothing to do with it. And I would much rather do the 3 hour than stick my self 4 times a day.

Exactly.
    I think people conveniently miss this in their "research". Scientists don't even know WHY some women develop GD, other than it was just the way your placenta was formed and handles insulin.

But hey, if you want to skip tests your doctor recommends, go for it. I happen to trust my doctor so will be doing all of what she says - since she's the one with the MD and all.

• Miz_Liz said:

To me it boils down to this - how much do you trust your Dr? For me, I know if I ask my Dr, "How necessary is this?" she will give me a straight answer and tell me either, "Keep doing what you are doing and it will be fine," or, "I think that it is really important because of xy and z." If you don't have that level of confidence with your Dr, you may want to step back and really look at if you have the right Dr for you. As others have said, there are plenty of very thin people who get GD, so please for your safety and the safety of your baby, don't base it off not being overweight. I would discuss all of your concerns with your Dr and get their educated opinion and make a decision with them. Good luck!

I appreciate the positive feedback! I am normally a person who follows all doctors orders no matter what. I have always loved my dr. I think my hesitation here is that when I ask certain questions, they don't really give me a straight answer. Top that off with working for a nutritionist that has delivered both his babies at home, and who has a midwife that consults with us, who uses the glucose monitoring before the 3 hour test, and I was feeling a bit out of sorts. I just feel that if there are other options, that are widely used, why am I not being offered them?
  • Regular prenatal care tests your urine for things like glucose and ketones. Baby is measured at appt a too. Checking with a finger stick would be what you would do anyway if it was positive so personally I feel you would be keeping a better eye on things doing an occasional check. I never even did the one hour. I occasionally check a fasting and post prendial
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took the 3 hr. Glucose test but the 1 hr test Isn't always accurate. Dietbeties has a bit higher risk when pregnant. I'd go in just incase. It doesn't hurt to be double sure.
  • I'm all for doing your research, and understanding what is happening in your body. With that though, not all of the alternatives to glucola drink are accepted as valid. The dextrose is the type of sugar that causes the most similar highs and lows. It causes the crash, and is the worst case scenario.

Also everything you eat, drink, and breath is chemicals. So if it's just chemicals that you are worried about, I'd take a chemistry course.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I'm curious, if you decide to forgo the 3 hour oral glucose tolerance test and instead check your blood glucose 4x/day and you do have GD and require insulin, then what? What is your plan if you need insulin? Do you know what would be considered a high reading that would require insulin coverage? What sliding scale would your physician use for you? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glucose tolerance testing is often used by the medical community as a definitive diagnosis of gestational diabetes. The problem with this is that the OGTT is NOT a diagnostic test. It is a screening. Screenings are not capable of offering definitive diagnosis based on results. Screenings can only assess RISK POTENTIAL based on results. The medical community banks on the fact that most laypeople don't understand the difference between diagnostic tests and screenings to over-prescribe medications/interventions and over-medically manage conditions that aren't definitive. 

Spending $30 on a glucometer at Amazon and checking your blood sugar at home 1-2 hours after a typical meal will give you a much better indication of how your body handles glucose on a day to day basis than a glucose tolerance screening.
    This is exactly where I was heading and what I was thinking. I appreciate the response! Have you opted out of the test?
  • gulimzgulimz member
    That's really selfish of you. As a patient, you can refuse whatever you want, but why would you want too? And it's idiotic to think that you have to be overweight to have diabetes. .... what's the big deal. And any moron can be a nutritionist. They're not a REGISTERED DIETICIAN..... don't let stupid people get in the way of the health of your baby.
  • gulimz said:

That's really selfish of you. As a patient, you can refuse whatever you want, but why would you want too? And it's idiotic to think that you have to be overweight to have diabetes. .... what's the big deal. And any moron can be a nutritionist. They're not a REGISTERED DIETICIAN..... don't let stupid people get in the way of the health of your baby.

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been more specific for you, he actually has two doctorates. One in chiropractic and one in nutrition/dietician. He is a registered dietician. Thank you.

Also, I don't believe that you have to be over weight to get diabetes. What I said was, when the dr is looking at your pregnancy and your risk for diabetes there are SEVERAL factors that they consider. Age and pre-pregnancy weight and pregnancy weight gain are ALL part of the equation.

Also, any MORON can make assumptions and blindly follow orders, when in reality they may not be making the best decision for themselves for for their baby. I never said I was or was not going to take the test. I was simply asking if anyone else was questioning the logic behind the validity of the 3 hour glucose test.
  • kedbachkedbach member
    I know you say your sugars are good, but there's variations. Also, being underweight is sometimes a sign of diabetes, as high blood sugars burn fat, therefore making you skinnier. Trust me, I've been diabetic since I was 12, through all the hormonal roller coaster changes. I know GD can behave differently, but your doctor wouldn't order the test if he/she didn't feel it was necessary. Do everything you can to keep your sweet baby healthy! I know it's an annoying test, but it's good for peace of mind!
  • gulimz said:

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been more specific for you, he actually has two doctorates. One in chiropractic and one in nutrition/dietician. He is a registered dietician. Thank you.

Also, I don't believe that you have to be over weight to get diabetes. What I said was, when the dr is looking at your pregnancy and your risk for diabetes there are SEVERAL factors that they consider. Age and pre-pregnancy weight and pregnancy weight gain are ALL part of the equation.

Also, any MORON can make assumptions and blindly follow orders, when in reality they may not be making the best decision for themselves for for their baby. I never said I was or was not going to take the test. I was simply asking if anyone else was questioning the logic behind the validity of the 3 hour glucose test.
    You asked "has anyone ever refused the 3 hour test?" That's not questioning logic, that's opting not to take it.

• kat+1kat+1 member
    I RECUSED MY GD TEST ALL TOGETHER. This is my second child I refused with my first, my doctor did a random glucose test that he was happy with the result.
    I had a midwife the first time and she told me that because I was of good Heath and had a great normal everyday low sugar diet she didn't feel it was an issue. With that said in many counties they don't test you unless you have good reason to.