April 2014 Moms
Options

Toys for the plane

Once again, I'm going to use you lovely ladies to help me with travel! I'm trying to think of toys that would be good to keep LO entertained and contained on a 5 hour plane ride! Lately he loves blocks and balls, but obviously those are tough on the plane. I'll put some apps on the iPad, but is there anything else I should consider? And maybe favourite apps for this age? I have a few flash card type apps. TIA!

Re: Toys for the plane

• Options
    LO has a "quiet book" that he enjoys. It's fabric and has a page for zipping, one for buttoning, one for snapping, etc. He can't really do all the stuff, but he likes to try with my help. That can keep him entertained for longer than I typically expect. :)
  • Options

LO has a "quiet book" that he enjoys. It's fabric and has a page for zipping, one for buttoning, one for snapping, etc. He can't really do all the stuff, but he likes to try with my help. That can keep him entertained for longer than I typically expect. :)

That's a good idea! Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get a couple of new things and rotate every so often.
  • Options
    Brillo blocks
    Quiet book
    Blue painters tape (weird I know, but you can stick it on things and LO can pull it off. Good for an hour of entertainment if your kid likes that sort of thing)
    Finger puppets
    Silly putty
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Blue painters tape (weird I know, but you can stick it on things and LO can pull it off. Good for an hour of entertainment if your kid likes that sort of thing)

That. Is. Genius!
  • Options
    My LO loves cords of all kinds, so I tied together a bunch of random pieces of ribbon and he loves it!
  • Options
    Or maybe one of these filled with Cheerios or puffs?
  • Options
    When the beverage cart comes by, ask for an extra cup, straw, and a few ice cubes. I flew a bunch with my oldest and that was always a help. Don't be afraid to bring a toy that makes noise bc it's nosier than you think in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Brillo blocks
    Quiet book
    Finger puppets
    Silly putty

Right! Painter's tape - our 3 year old goes through a tonne. She puts it up and LO takes it down and then I wrestle it out of his mouth. I will definitely take some with me. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Options
    Where does one find a quiet book? I popped in to a local store today, but they didn't have anything like that. I did leave with some magnetic blocks and these things that suction together or to the tray - kind of the concept of blocks, but with weird shapes and suction cups, if that makes any sense!

@Smores730 - Good point about the cup and straw - that would probably be more entertaining than any of the toys I bought ;) also about the noise - I nixed all noisy toys at the store today, but maybe not totally necessary.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
  • Options
    My mom found the quiet book she got LO at a Lakeshore Learning store. Not sure if you have one of those, but maybe another education store would have them too?
  • Options
    I was going to suggest a water bottle full of colored water and lots of beads... then I remembered the TSA restrictions. Nevermind.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options

I was going to suggest a water bottle full of colored water and lots of beads... then I remembered the TSA restrictions. Nevermind.

You could always buy a bottle of water after going through security and add the beads.
  • Options

You could always buy a bottle of water after going through security and add the beads.
    Good idea!

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options

Good idea!
    I got excited about a sensory bottle of some sort and also didn't think about security issues ;) I could make it after, but somehow envision a disaster trying to pour beads into a water bottle with two nutty kids trying to get my attention. It might happen... We'll see.
  • Options
    Those of you with quiet books, can you tell me the brand? I see Manhattan Toys has some, but I would probably buy online and it's hard to see if they're good.
  • Options
    Here's ours. It's totally cheesy looking but it's pretty sturdy, zips closed, and he loves it. Got it at Lakeshore Learning. I imagine they have a website too?

• Options

Good idea!
    I got excited about a sensory bottle of some sort and also didn't think about security issues ;) I could make it after, but somehow envision a disaster trying to pour beads into a water bottle with two nutty kids trying to get my attention. It might happen... We'll see.
    Another thought--load up the bottle with beads, etc before you go through security and then add water from a faucet or drinking fountain on the other side of security. Not sure if that would be easier than adding the beads to a full water bottle, but it's a thought! ;)
  • Options
    BperkunBperkun member
    My DS loves Peek-a-boo Barn on the iPad. He plays it when he has to use his nebulizer.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Good idea!
    Another thought--load up the bottle with beads, etc before you go through security and then add water from a faucet or drinking fountain on the other side of security. Not sure if that would be easier than adding the beads to a full water bottle, but it's a thought! ;)
    Haha. Good point. Sometimes I have no brain ;)

Oh - and thanks for the pic of the quiet book. That helps.
  • Options
    Well, it took me a while of pondering it in the back of my mind before a light bulb went on for me. I am thinking through all of the suggestions you're getting here to put into use when we fly to CA this fall. ;)

Hope you can find a quiet book you like. It just keeps being entertaining for LO at different stages of development. I'm hoping it'll stay that way for a long while yet. :)
  • Options
    LolaX2LolaX2 member
    How about some children music apps on the ipad? DD loves music videos too.