December 2014 Moms
Options

Water for baby?

Hi I am just wondering when it's ok to give my baby water? She is almost 23 weeks old. Also if I can how much and should I put it in a starter sippy cup??

Answers

• Options
    My mom keeps telling me that we should be giving DD water sometimes, but we haven't yet.  I would say if you do I'd give a small amount.  My DD is a little older than yours and I'm pretty sure a sippy cup would be a huge mess, but if you think yours is ready for it then go for it!  When DD was sick the nurse did tell us pedialyte was okay, and water isn't really much different.  The downside is that it has no nutritional value (obviously).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I give my LO water only when it's super hot outside. But a small amount. Less than an ounce. They usually get all the water they need thru formula or BM however when they start solids it should be fine to give a bit
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've read that they can have water, but less than 2 oz a day.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Dr told me at her check up last week it was safe to give her water now. She is now 20 weeks today
  • Options
    I'm on vacation in SoCal and I have been giving my baby ice water in a sippy cup when we go outside for walks. He is 24 weeks and has the sippy cup figured out like a champ. I don't think he really likes the water, or knows what to do with it. I guess it's good practice...
  • Options
    Our pediatrician gave the green light for water at 6 months. But mainly to put into a training sippy cup and have her start getting used to that. I've just recently given her a training sippy cup with some water and let me tell you she isn't spilling any water nor is getting any in her mouth! She has no clue what to do with a sippy cup. But I'll just keep introducing it to her and eventually (maybe) she will catch on.

I don't think babies necessarily need water. The should be getting their liquids at this age still from either BM or formula.
  • Options
    Our doc said to start feeding water at 6 months, just to get him used to the taste. She says absolutely no juice until he's 2+ — she's actually called juice 'liquid sugar' and said once they start juice it would be hard to get them to like water.