Breastfeeding

Pumping Starter Kit

I wish there was such a thing as a Pumping Starter Kit. :P I intend to breastfeed and bump so that my husband can help with feeding. Where do I begin? I have no idea what I will need besides a pump. What else? When I look baby stuff up online that are so many little things and I have no idea what they are all for. There are bottles, nipples, liners, bags... Its overwhelming. So where do I start? Would anyone be kind enough to give me a brief list of the basics I will need and a likely amount of each? It would be so appreciated!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping Starter Kit

• The pump itself comes with the necessities if I remember correctly. (I purchased mine 4 years ago with DS1 and am starting over again with DS2). You can purchase spare parts but you won't need them for a while.

My pump came with 4 6oz bottles to pump into. Depending on how often you are washing bottles you may want to pick up some extras. I would avoid using any of those bags you can pump directly into but rather pick up some regular storage bags to transfer the milk and freeze. I used the Lansinoh bags but this go around I've seen generic brands at both Target and BRU that I may try.

As far as feeding bottles go, make sure you use the slowest flow nipple. If they have to work harder to nurse than from a bottle they could potentially refuse the breast.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Beccaz7Beccaz7 member
    Thanks for the tips. Some things I was not aware of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker