Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Prizes/Rewards aren't working and she isn't afraid of time out...what to do

We started 2 new things this week-a sticker chart and reward system for potty training and also a similar chart/reward system (bought toys/treats at the dollar store and wrapped them up as prizes)  for sleeping in your own bed all night. Our twins are killing us at night. When they wake up, they like to climb into our bed. They know that we want them to sleep in their own bed all night.

Potty training is going pretty well. DS is definitely motivated by prizes!

DD could care less about sleeping in her bed all night. She said, "I don't want any prizes." She isn't afraid of time out either.

What am I going to do with her???

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

Re: Prizes/Rewards aren't working and she isn't afraid of time out...what to do

• Options

Can you close them in their room? Put up a baby gate at the door or something on the door handle? I know that sounds mean but it actually isn't.

Otherwise, each time she gets up and comes to your room, you will have to say "no, you need to sleep in your own bed" and take her back to her bed. You might have to do that 1,000 times in order for it to stick but no matter what you do, consistency is key. It is crucial. If you cave in and let her sleep in your bed then she will never figure out what she needs to do.

• Options
    KDR1979KDR1979 member

I used to keep a baby door knob cover/lock on her bedroom door. They had a stomach bug a month ago though and she would have to run to the BR to throw up and now wants her door open. Now, she is waking up sometimes to pee at night and I don't want to discourage that either. I think my days of locking her in her room are over :(

We have not been 100% consistent and we know that it is our fault. We are just SO SO So tired. Having 2 kids wake us up all the time is so exhausting. The first 2 times they wake us up, I will put them back to bed, but by the 3rd time, we give up so we get at least some sleep. But them in our bed is not good quality sleep.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    KDR1979 said:

I used to keep a baby door knob cover/lock on her bedroom door. They had a stomach bug a month ago though and she would have to run to the BR to throw up and now wants her door open. Now, she is waking up sometimes to pee at night and I don't want to discourage that either. I think my days of locking her in her room are over :(

We have not been 100% consistent and we know that it is our fault. We are just SO SO So tired. Having 2 kids wake us up all the time is so exhausting. The first 2 times they wake us up, I will put them back to bed, but by the 3rd time, we give up so we get at least some sleep. But them in our bed is not good quality sleep.

Yes, sounds like locking the door isn't really an option anymore.

I can only imagine how tiring it must be with 2 but from here on out, you really do have to be consistent for this to work. My son got into the habit of having me lay down in his bed with him every night and I would have to be there longer and longer every night until I just couldn't do it anymore and had to put my foot down. It's not easy, I know but it will pay off in the end.