March 2015 Moms

Formula Feeding Every Two Hours???

my little boy is almost 6 weeks old and is eating about 2-3 oz. of formula every 2 hours. Is that normal or too much??

Re: Formula Feeding Every Two Hours???

• My little man has been drinking 4-5oz of expressed milk every 2.5-3 hours since 5 weeks so I think that is about right. Your lil one is just eating more often
  • Loading the player...
  • My 6 week old drinks 4oz. Every 3.5-4 hours.
  • LcastoLcasto member
    My son has been drinking 4 oz every 2-2.5 hours too and is 8 weeks. Needless to say he's chunking up fast, but when he's hungry, he's screaming, so I'm going to feed him when he wants it! ;)
  • LcastoLcasto member
    This is during the day, though.. He'll sleep 4-5 hour stretches at night..
  • Completely normal. My 6 week old drink 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours. FF only.
  • Just found this thought it would be helpful
  • My 6 week old drink 4 oz every 2-2.5 hours :)
  • Thank you! I'm going to my ped tomorrow to verify we're on the right track. I think knowing his weight now will also help guide how much I feed him how often.
  • soxgurlsoxgurl member
    My 8 week old drinks 4oz every 3 hours. Tomorrow I'm gonna try 5oz every 4 hours.
  • My LO also eats every 2 hours- it's seriously annoying as there's barely any time to sterilise the bottles and mix up formula in between, let alone do anything else! Sometimes he'll take 2oz and other times 3 or 4. I generally let him dictate and haven't had any problems... He is 8 weeks about 12+lbs now!
  • So my son's pediatrician said he's on target and eating every 2-3 hours is fine. For ex/ today he has been pretty consistent with 2.5-3 oz every two hours. It is annoying when I have stuff to do but he's a newborn what can I expect? His gas and fussiness has been relatively calm today too, so maybe smaller more frequent meals are better.

Essentially, the doctor said he will dictate how much how often and hopefully as he gets older he'll eat more less often. He's still waking up 2-3x a night for feed.

Also, anyone have advice how to prepare Formula in a bottle as quickly as possible so that you get it to baby BEFORE he's screaming due to being hungry?? I think that's most difficult during the night. It's the only thing I miss about BF not having to prepare anything.
  • @NewMamaCK330 we had the same problem RE formula bottles. I tend to wait until he's taking a nap and then make up the next 4 feeds in advance. Boil the kettle and whilst that's cooling, wash and sterilise all bottles. Then mix up the feeds and keep in the fridge.

Then all you have to do is warm the feed when baby is screaming.

I know other people may advise you differently but this works well for us :)
  • That's at the 6 week growth spurt mark :) my son did the same only wanted breast milk every 45 mins
  • @NewMamaCK330 on Amazon there is a formula pitcher from Dr. Brown where you can premix a large amount and pour as needed. That way is he eats 3 oz you won't have to waste the last ounce. It comes with a mixer in the pitcher too so it's cuts the amount of bubbles in half.
  • I hate those bubbles, thanks for the tip! I will look up the pitcher
  • @NewMamaCK330 I don't boil the bottles after each use. There really isn't a need for that as long as they are washed in hot soapy water. I use dr. Brown bottles. I have six of them. I use the dr. Brown pitcher to make all six servings at once, then pour into each bottle and refrigerate.

I also bought a munchkin brand cooler/bottle warmer that I keep upstairs. I pop two premade bottles in the cooler before bed, bring up two sets of nipples/bottle attachments, then just warm a bottle up for 3 min when my LO starts crying or fussing for his feeding. It saves so much time than going downstairs to the kitchen at 3 am.