April 2015 Moms
Options

Red diaper rash

My 4 week old daughter has had a horrible red diaper rash with some darker red spotted areas ( Dr said its ulcerated skin from rubbing to much) it has pretty much been there since she has been drinking my Breast milk! Is she allergic to my milk/ foods I'm eating?! Or is it that she is pooping so much everyday and it's from all the wiping!! How do I tell if it's yeast?! I've looked on line for pictures so far nothing has been helpful! Do I continue to give her breast milk ?! Knowing that it could be causing her little bottom to be so red! Ughhhh

Re: Red diaper rash

• Options
    angelfish628angelfish628 member
    edited May 2015
    My daughter had the same issue last week. She is 4 weeks old. We stopped using the honest baby wipes and started using water to clean her instead. After washing, we pat her dry with a clean washcloth/towel and apply the honest diaper rash cream or healing balm. It's made a huge difference and the diaper rash is gone. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    We had the same issue and started using aquafor and it cleared up pretty quickly!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    xuxachixuxachi member
    Poor thing! I seriously doubt it's your breast milk - try wipes first, creams, etc as others have mentioned. I'm sure that will solve the problem. I use a/d on the bum as moisture barrier and that means cleaning dirty diapers is easier.
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    RSupryRSupry member
    Try different wipes and give her a little no diaper time so her butt gets a little air. That usually helps my son.
  • Options
    Have you tried sudocream? And switch up your diapers and your wip s before you think allergy
  • Options
    My daughter gets diaper rash easily. We started with not wiping her rash (we use Huggins natural non scented 99% water wipes) We pat the area and wipe the other areas, then we air dry or if in a rush take a cloth and pat dry. We use sudo cream. It works the best I find but o want to try a different all natural cream once we are out. It's called bum butter from matrea (which is From a local supplier)
  • Options
    We had/have the same problem with both boys. We actually used a blow dryer to dry our first's bum during diaper changes, lol. His poor bum was so red!!!! we use a wet washcloth for changing, pat dry, then some sort of barrier cream. Be diligent and it should clear up!
  • Options
    use water to clean her instead of wipes and apply nappy rash cream ( i use sudocrem) , breast milk is the best food for the baby i don't think it can cause such trouble( normally)
  • Options
    I agree with all the PP. Keep up breastfeeding, change the wipes that you're using, give some diaper-free time to let things air out. We use sudocream and then a barrier cream over top if a rash occurs. If that makes it worse then it's probably a yeast rash, then use an antifungal cream such as Canestan, our tube of Canestan is actually for athletes foot and was recommended by the pharmacist (it was also like $5).
    We make our own wipes and I love them! A roll of Bounty paper towels cut in half and then soaked in a cup of hot water with a tablespoon of baby shampoo and a tablespoon of coconut oil. It's gentle and so nice on their skin, and you get some great benefits from the coconut oil.
  • Options
    Also try using water wipes.