Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Sleep problems for 2 year old

My 2 year old recently discovered how to climb out of the crib. We decided to move him to a toddler bed. He did great for a week. Now, he keeps opening his door (we put a gate on the other side), and having a huge meltdown because he wants one of us in there to rub his back. I've tried walking him back to his bed each time and then he started climbing his armoire and shaking it. I went in there and he screamed in my face, hit me, kicked me, and them bit me. This went on for 1.5hours until i gave in and rocked him
Then, he was up 3 times last night doing the same thing. He is active, but usually very sweet boy. I would typically be able to deal, but pregnant with #2, and not feeling well. Sorry for rambling... I'm just out of ideas. Thanks!

Re: Sleep problems for 2 year old

• Options

I absolutely would not tolerate hitting, kicking and then biting me. My son would be in time-out in 5 seconds flat. I certainly wouldn't give in and rock him after he's done that either. I'm not trying to be mean, just saying that you absolutely have to put your foot down.

I know you are pregnant and not feeling well, I went through that when my son was 2 and I was pregnant with #2. I get it. BUT that doesn't mean you get to slack on discipline or getting your son to stay in his bed.

You need to be 100% consistent, night after night with this. Each time he gets out of bed, walk him back to his bed and say "it's bed time, you have to lay down". You might have to do that a LOT, but keep doing it. Have you watched Super Nanny? That's what she does and it has worked every time with my toddler.

• Options
    liz1562liz1562 member
    Oh I absolutely do not tolerate the physical part! He immediately went to time out. Trust me, I don't let him get away with much around here. I plan to keep doing the walking back to bed... Yes, got the idea from Super Nanny as well. What I'm more so wondering is if anyone has a routine where there's a timer for the amount of time you stay in the room, or rock for one lullaby song only, basically anything along those lines? What does your routine consist of?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    liz1562 said:

Oh I absolutely do not tolerate the physical part! He immediately went to time out. Trust me, I don't let him get away with much around here. I plan to keep doing the walking back to bed... Yes, got the idea from Super Nanny as well. What I'm more so wondering is if anyone has a routine where there's a timer for the amount of time you stay in the room, or rock for one lullaby song only, basically anything along those lines? What does your routine consist of?

My son, who is now 3, is a creature of habit so he doesn't usually stray from any routine but for bedtime we tell him we will read one book, adjust his blanket the way he likes it, let Grover "bite mommy" then goodnight. I say the length of the routine is as long or as short as you want it to be. Communicate it ahead of time and give lots of warnings ("when this book is over you need to lay down", etc)
  • Options
    liz1562liz1562 member
    Great, thanks!