Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Help! Sleeping Baby?

lmc929lmc929 member
edited May 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Hi Moms,
First time mom here and I need some advice. I am not finding what I am looking for with google so I thought I would see what advice I might find here...

Our little guy is eight weeks old and I have been putting him down around 7:30pm for round one of sleep. He has started sleeping about a 5 hour stretch after this round -- then, he starts to stir and fuss at which time I feed him. This repeats throughout the night in about two hour increments. 

Question: Should I be waiting for him to wake up and actually cry before I feed him or is feeding him while hes fussing in his sleep okay?

The reason I ask, is because then I am getting up several times after 12:30 to do the same thing, namely about 2:30, 4:30 -- then he starts getting really noisy in the morning hours in his sleep from about 4:30 until 6:30 when he officially wakes up.

Anyhow, I want to make sure my little guy is getting enough to eat but I also don't know if I am making things harder on myself than necessary. Throughout the night while I am feeding him he is pretty much asleep - doesn't open his eyes. I am wondering if he would be sleeping through round 2 and beyond better if I would let him actually wake up before eating.

Help me out, Moms!

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

Re: Help! Sleeping Baby?

• Options
    I am also a first time mom and my little girl will be 11 weeks on Wednesday. I've noticed that she also can be a little noisey in her sleep and sometimes even sound fussy. Most nights we only have to get up once because she doesn't go down until around 10-11. To answer your question I generally always wait until I know she's awake and actually hungry. The past couple of nights though I have woken up to her making noises, even sucking on her hands. Yet I would get out of bed and just about bend over to pick her up and she'd stop. I'll look at her face real close and she looks as if she's just sound asleep. So I lay back down and go back to sleep until she wakes up later on for real. Sometimes they can be a little tricky like that I think. Like I said though I'm also a first time mom and still trying to figure things out myself. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    I have not woke my son up during the night since he had his 1 week weight check and he was back at birth weight. I also have a 2 and half year old and did the same thing for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always give my kids some time before I go to them. Half the time they fall back asleep after fussing or being noisy so I would wait if I were you. It's all trial and error so do what works for now!
  • Options
    lmc929 said:

Hi Moms,

First time mom here and I need some advice. I am not finding what I am looking for with google so I thought I would see what advice I might find here...

Our little guy is eight weeks old and I have been putting him down around 7:30pm for round one of sleep. He has started sleeping about a 5 hour stretch after this round -- then, he starts to stir and fuss at which time I feed him. This repeats throughout the night in about two hour increments. 

Question: Should I be waiting for him to wake up and actually cry before I feed him or is feeding him while hes fussing in his sleep okay?

The reason I ask, is because then I am getting up several times after 12:30 to do the same thing, namely about 2:30, 4:30 -- then he starts getting really noisy in the morning hours in his sleep from about 4:30 until 6:30 when he officially wakes up.

Anyhow, I want to make sure my little guy is getting enough to eat but I also don't know if I am making things harder on myself than necessary. Throughout the night while I am feeding him he is pretty much asleep - doesn't open his eyes. I am wondering if he would be sleeping through round 2 and beyond better if I would let him actually wake up before eating.

Help me out, Moms!
    Feed before they cry. If you wait until they are crying they are incredibly hungry.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

lmc929 said:

Hi Moms,

Help me out, Moms!
    Feed before they cry. If you wait until they are crying they are incredibly hungry.
    True. But sometimes they will go back to sleep after being fussy or restless. It's a delicate balance and it takes time to "read" your baby.
  • Options

lmc929 said:

Hi Moms,

Help me out, Moms!
    Eh, I think that varies from baby to baby. My oldest was like that- would give no warning cries and was just 100% full blown screaming for food. My son and now my new baby are much more patient, in that they start fussing a little and it can take 5-10 minutes of that a before they will fully cry.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15