November 2015 Moms
Options

Nuchal Test Question

I had the u/s screening today at my ob office and then to the lab for the follow up bloodwork (sequence 1) and then I'll get the next round of bloodwork (sequence 2) to complete the screen toward the end of May. My question is, at the lab, the tech was saying that the test requested has changed names 5 times this year, use to be call the panorama (or something like that)...I thought that was the different genetic screening. My d/s was 5 years ago so it's hard to remember every test. Is that something they automatically do with the nuchal translucency screen now? I'm not high risk or over 35 either.

Re: Nuchal Test Question

• Options
    Panorama is a cell-free DNA test. It's just a brand name for the test; it hasn't changed names. It's a new test within the past 1.5yrs. However, it doesn't require two draws. Also it's still very expensive since its new, so most insurances won't cover it unless you're high risk or over 35yrs. I'm not really sure what test you got, but if your doctor said it was the panorama then you should believe them.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the tech didn't know exactly what he was talking about. Have they always done a two sequence blood draw for the nts?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ElysagElysag member
    That doesn't sound right. I had the nuchal last week. It was the ultrasound and then a finger prick -- I think they took 5 or 6 drops of blood. I got the results already. There was no second blood draw. This was the same as with my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member
    Elysag said:

That doesn't sound right. I had the nuchal last week. It was the ultrasound and then a finger prick -- I think they took 5 or 6 drops of blood. I got the results already. There was no second blood draw. This was the same as with my first pregnancy.

This is what I went through for both. There are screens for both first trimester and second trimester, maybe you're just doing both?
  • Options
    sla626sla626 member
    I had my panorama 2 weeks ago and my nuchal today. Panoramas lets you know if there are gentic abnormalities. It's a high rate of being correct.
  • Options
    LSRooLSRoo member
    edited May 2015
    With DS I got am blood drawn right before they did the ultrasound (same day) at 12 weeks. 4 weeks later I had blood drawn again. They are doing it the same way this time.

The do tell you if the neck measurements appear abnormal or not however they can't give you a true response until the blood work comes in.
  • Options
    Thx ladies. Yeah she said measurements were all good, the lab tech threw me off, and I just couldn't remember if it was done the same way, but it seems like everyone is a little different, so it might not have been either.