September 2015 Moms
Options

What are STM/third or more time moms looking forward to/dreading about a having a newborn again?

I'm a third timer with the dude.  When I was stm I was dreading 3am never ending nights.  That was about it.  This time...  that AND standing after my C-section.  I thought I'd walk at a 90 degree angle for the rest of my life when I first got out of bed with dd2.

I'm looking forward to the never ending snuggles, the feeling of "mastering it" when he is sleeping and peaceful (!!!) and watching the love d has for us grow even more and seeing how my dd's react to the dude at home.  They love him right now...

Anyway, stm moms/ third time moms, from experience what are you looking forward to/dreading and what advice would you give ftms?

Re: What are STM/third or more time moms looking forward to/dreading about a having a newborn again?

• Options
    I am dreading the hormone imbalance and crying that came with after I delivered and losing my sleep since my youngest is 16. Also returning to work after my leave. I am most looking forward to us meeting my little guy and loving up on him..
  • Options
    I can't wait for the snuggles and all of the firsts that come along with newborns.

I'm dreading pumping. I had latch issues with my other two so I pumped for the first year each time. I'm hoping to give nursing another shot but I had a very hard time due to having a large chest :((
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't wait for that new baby smell!  My daughter will be three when the little guy gets here and I am so excited to see her as a big sister.  She talks about her baby all the time and it's the sweetest thing.  I can't wait to see my husband with a new baby.  It's always so sweet to see him snuggling our little ones and he's so good at getting them to fall asleep.  

I'm not looking forward to labor.  The unknown always scares me and I wish I could just fall asleep one night and wake up with a baby.  I'm hoping that nursing is much easier this time or at least I know how much it will hurt in the beginning.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I worry about not getting sleep. It will have been 6yrs since I had a newborn, so I'm hoping I won't be a daily walking zombie! I also worry about giving the older two enough attention & getting to all of their events with the baby! I am however very excited to see them with her since this time around will be totally different from when the others were babies since they're older. (DD - 8 & DS will have just turned 6)
  • Options
    The 2 week post partum and all those middle of nights wakings/feedings.
  • Options
    I'm looking forwards to the birth itself, and all the newborn snuggles! I am just hoping this baby is not a constant crier like DS2.
  • Options
    I am not looking forward to the lack of sleep and nervous about being short tempered with DD1 and not having as much time for her. 

I am looking forward to the new baby falling asleep on my chest and seeing DD1's reaction to the new baby. 
    imageimage

TTC #1** Went off BCP July 2011

Me: 31 DH:31

Jan 2012 Dx PCOS by OB/Gyn

July 2012 - Tests with RE confirmed PCOS and annovulation

2 rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's using clomid + injectibles. 

Surprise BFP while on break cycle due to cysts.  It's a girl! Baby "E" born on Thanksgiving Day 11/28/13

• Options
    This will be my fifth baby and I am dreading the fact that my 2 and 4 year old require so much energy.. how will I ever keep up??!! I am looking forward to finally having another girl after almost 14 years and 3 little boys!!
  • Options
    To be honest I was not the biggest fan of the first 9 months. Once we hit 9 months she was so much more fun.

I am dreading the nipple damage while baby gets the hang of nursing. I had severe breast feeding problems with my first. Also worried about the exhaustion with MOTN wake ups and a toddler. I'm also worried about the current routine we have with our toddler and how she will feel when it changes.

I am looking forward to the snuggles and seeing how my DD reacts to a baby. I think she will make a great big sister and I can't wait to see them together.
  • Options
    @pregat40 - wow! 16 years. I've noticed a lot of changes in stuff and ideas since dd1 was born 6 years ago. How much has changed since you were last expecting? And... Is there anything now that you can't wait to use that wasn't available when you had your youngest?

• Options

I am not looking forward to loss of bladder control and losing my hair after birth.

I can't wait for the baby snuggles. My toddler is too busy to hold still these days. I miss my cuddle bug.

• Options
    str13str13 member
    I had severe postpartum depression and so I'm really not looking forward to that period! Hoping to head it off and keep my head in the right place this time.
    When baby gets here I'll have a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old, I'll let you guess what my concerns are there!! Lol

One thing that made getting up at 3am tolerable was my BMB had a MOTN feedings thread! It was awesome, we vented or just goofed off, fussed about latching problems, diaper explosions, whatever. I really hope we do that too!
  • Options

This is my 3rd, and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a newborn, a 4 year old, and a 9 year old! I'm looking forward to having a baby girl this time around, after two boys! I'm also looking forward to be a SAHM and breastfeeding for the entire year, which wasn't possible for me while I was working with the previous two. Most of all, I'll be almost a year sober when baby comes, and I'm excited for all the blessings sobriety brings!!!

You amaze me mama! Congrats on all your hard work!!
  • Options
    @PerkinsFam3 - in awe. Well done you and continued good wishes

@str13 - 2, 1 and a newborn? Wow! Best of luck with that and battling potential ppd.

All ladies good luck - one thing that is true - in spite of the things we dread we're back again and looking forward to those special moments with this little one.

Hugs to all
  • Options
    PerkinsFam3PerkinsFam3 member
    edited April 2015
    Thank you @mrscaterosales! One day at a time!

ETA thank you too @joco!
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    joco said:

@PerkinsFam3 - in awe. Well done you and continued good wishes

@str13 - 2, 1 and a newborn? Wow! Best of luck with that and battling potential ppd.

All ladies good luck - one thing that is true - in spite of the things we dread we're back again and looking forward to those special moments with this little one.

Hugs to all

#3 is my Mirena miracle!! OB told me he was refusing to put another IUD in! Lol thought I had 5 years!!
  • Options
    @str13 - a very good friend of mine - her 4th was a miracle like that. And he's a blessing.
    Mine will be practically 6 and 4 and I'm wondering how the adjustment will go. Your 3 will never know the difference
  • Options
    Not looking forward to the starting it all over again. The nightly wake ups the feeling out of sorts ALL the time the breast issues.
    I am looking forward to seeing my first love his baby brother and have that companionship (hopefully)
    And all the firsts again. Watch the baby grow
  • Options
    I'm dreading the actual delivery (I have scarring from tears, and I'm worried the scar tissue won't stretch enough), and the hormonal irrationality of that first week postpartum.

I'm looking forward to breastfeeding again (#1 just weaned when I was 2 months pregnant) and gazing at my precious little squish during night feedings (I always loved our private moments when everything was dark and quiet). And weirdly enough, I'm very excited for newborn cloth diapering again. I expanded my stash so I have enough to take to the hospital, and got a lot of the cute ones I wanted last time.
  • Options
    I am not looking forward to looking in a mirror until my newest arrival is at least a year old, LOL! I am also already dreading going back to work after the 6 weeks so much so I can't get motivated into choosing a daycare! Oh why can't I just be rich so I can stay at home.
    I am looking forward to not being alone while giving birth this time, since DH wasn't able to be there last time. And I can't wait for the snuggles and little baby laughs! It doesn't get much better than baby laughs!!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to being home for the holidays this year.
  • Options
    The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the week or two of soreness down there after birth! lol. Lots of baby diapers packed with ice...
  • Options

I am not looking forward to loss of bladder control and losing my hair after birth.

I can't wait for the baby snuggles. My toddler is too busy to hold still these days. I miss my cuddle bug.

Ahh I forgot about losing my hair. I had to get bangs last time it was so bad.
  • Options
    monicaPmonicaP member
    The snuggles! And all the firsts. Really looking forward to sharing these moments with my 5 and 3 year olds. Nursing longer.

Not looking forward to lack of sleep.
  • Options
    Looking forward to:  (hopefully) tandem nursing, all the cute outfits I can get back out again.  Meals from friends because my friends cook better (and healthier) than me, actually having help with the housework from DH.  

Not looking forward to: poop-splosions, breastmilk everywhere, and just the general change the sheets twice a day, change my clothes twice a day, change the baby's clothes twice a day stuff, sibling rivalry, tripping over toys (or the toddler) while getting up to nurse the baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm dreading the whole "how to feed the baby" internal debate- I've never been successful at breastfeeding but I always try so hard and it's always a disaster. I've had mastitis so many times, plugged ducts, vasospasms, etc. For some reason I can't just let it go and just do formula from the get go and not even mess with the trying part. This time will be different though because of health issues so there's a good chance my drs will make that decision for me as far as me needing meds that are incompatible with nursing.

I'm most looking forward to newborn snuggles, watching my other 3 kiddos with the baby (they LOVE babies and kiss my belly and talk to baby all the time already), having those quiet alone times at night with just me and the babe...really there's not much I'm dreading :-) I'm so excited and it hasn't even been that long since I had a baby in the house!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    edited May 2015
    I hate the fatigue. I don't mind the night wakings so much. I've learned to cherish those and roll with it.

It's the actual getting up for the day, after being up night, and just wanting to sleep when my kids want/need stimulation. When it's your first (or your children are much older and can fend for themselves) you CAN sleep when baby sleeps. I try to not have momma guilt but I still do.

Also: postpartum bleeding. Yuck. Not a fan. I just feel so gross and stinky postpartum.

I look forward to who this unique person will be and discovering her personality, what she will look like. I look forward to breastfeeding again. I look forward to curled newborn legs and TINY fingers and toes.

Notice a pattern in the comments? We don't look forward to some things WE have to feel and go through but we look forward to everything about baby. And everything about baby is so new and so precious and so fleeting.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    joco said:

@pregat40 - wow! 16 years. I've noticed a lot of changes in stuff and ideas since dd1 was born 6 years ago. How much has changed since you were last expecting? And... Is there anything now that you can't wait to use that wasn't available when you had your youngest?

@joco sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I never use the desktop site to log in so I had no idea I had so many notifications. 

honestly, the only thing I know that has changed is that babies are put to sleep on their back and it used to be their side. I didnt have the luxury of internet 17 and 22 years ago when I was pregnant so just sharing this pregnancy in a "public" way makes is new. There is nothing that I am looking forward to using in particular, I dont feel like I need to have every gadget and device I see being talked about so it makes stressing about certain things less for me.

• Options
    I'm feeling pretty good about it.  I've finally got #2 off the boob and sleeping in his own bed most nights, so most of my concerns are behind me now.  My 2 year old is the best most easy going kid ever, so I think this is going to be a better transition than 1 to 2 because my first was a VERY demanding kid.  He's doing better now at age 3.  The only concern I have is that they are getting into the age where toys involve smaller pieces and I'm dreading having a crawler that is putting every little scrap of playdough or whatever in its mouth. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Another 3rd timer here
    What I'm looking forward to: all the snuggles, and actually the night waking. It seemed like at night was the only solid bonding time I got with #2 since I had a very busy toddler and I really cherished it. I'm also looking forward to having a girl this time around and all the fun that comes with that. I also can't wait to see the bonds that will form between my three. It'll take time but it will be worth it!
    What I'm not looking forward to: as much as I hate to say it - nursing. I really just don't love it and I hate how much it ties me down. I will do it, just like I did the other two- I just hope this time I enjoy it more and not be stressed with supply issues or other latching difficulties. I also second the hair falling out- it's the worst. It's like when you're already sleep deprived and barely keeping up your appearance Mother Nature swoops on and gives you bad hair days, hormonal acne, and brittle nails. It's a cruel joke. I also am not looking forward to the emotional roller coaster that makes me crazy irrational.

I think we can all agree though that the good totally outweighs the bad, and I'm glad to know that these times (good and bad) are fleeting!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love everything having to do with a newborn. Last time I had some trouble breastfeeding and also felt I had to leave the room in my own house to nurse when people were there! This time I plan on being bolder and nursing in front of people. I already told my mom and family that if they want us around at the holidays they are going to see some boob. They assured me to do whatever I need to do I can nurse my baby and feel comfortable! Nice to hear so I can prepare.
  • Options

I loved having a newborn!  I can't wait for all the snuggles and to see DS1 with his little brother. 

I am a little worried about balancing a newborn with a toddler, but I guess I will figure it out as I go.  This may sound bad, but I am not 100% looking forward to the descent of family to see the baby.  I love showing off my cutie, but sharing him with family is tough.  When I go back to work I will have limited time with him so I kind of want to hoard all his snuggles to myself.  Especially since this will be our last baby. 

I am hoping breastfeeding goes better this time around.  I'm a little stressed about not having enough supply, but this time I think I will give in to formula faster than before so I can enjoy my little man and not worry about all that goes with breastfeeding.