Trouble TTC
Options

Anyone test positive for a MTHFR mutation?

My husband and I have been TTC for almost 3 years. We had an early miscarriage at 7 weeks a little over a year ago. Since then, we did 3 months of Clomid with Bravelle and Ovidrel injections. No success. Fertility office told us we should look to IUI or IVF next. We took a little break from treatments to decide what to do. I started seeing an Acupuncturist since I heard many positive things about acupuncture and infertility. One of the first things she told me to do was to insist on getting tested for a MTHFR mutation. The fertility office said this test was not necessary, but they wrote me a script anyway to get it done. Turns out I came back positive for "the AA mutation".. whatever that means! My acupuncturist put me on Methylated folate prental vitamins (Thorne to be exact) and the fertility office is telling me I should be fine with a normal prenatal and Folgard. Everything I am reading and what my acupuncturist tells me shows that I cannot absorb folic acid (which means I cannot maintain a pregnancy) so taking a regular prenatal and Folgard will not work. I'm just conflicted because the fertility office is telling me to trust them, not my acupuncturist. I WANT to trust them, but they didn't even want me to have this test done in the first place. If I had trusted them, I would've done IUI and IVF and had no success. 

So I guess I'm just looking for anyone with this mutation and what they did? Any pregnancy success stories? 

Re: Anyone test positive for a MTHFR mutation?

• Options
    GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited May 2015
    Over the years I have met plenty of women who were diagnosed with MTHFR mutation and beat it too. (I go to RESOLVE meetings regularly)   I'm thinking that you would have been tested for MTHFR as part of the ramp up for IVF.  If not, I would seriously give your fertility clinic the side eye too.

I don't know what all the treatments are but I definitely know that the other women were doing something in addition to regular prenatals.  I want to say that baby aspirin was a part of it but I could be wrong.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc