July 2015 Moms

Maternity leave

I am trying to figure out if I should take the full 4 weeks before my due date or if i should work longer. Any advise would be helpful! I am due July 24th and this is first baby.

Re: Maternity leave

• Why would you take off 4 weeks before your due date? Is this because of your profession? I'll be working up until the Dr says no or I give birth. I want to save my leave for when the baby is actually here.
  • Well with my state we are entitled to up to 4 weeks before but if you choose not to take it you can't add it to after the birth. So especially you would just loose it if you don't use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is a no brainer! Take it! This may be your only shot! It will give you time to relax and get ready for baby!
  • edited April 2015

Well with my state we are entitled to up to 4 weeks before but if you choose not to take it you can't add it to after the birth. So especially you would just loose it if you don't use it.

Uhh what state is this cuz that's where I need to work!

Is it paid? If not, I would say it depends on if you want to lose out on that month's worth of pay. If it's paid, then hell yeah take advantage!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a teacher and I'm taking off starting Monday. So excited!!! If they will give it to you and you can afford to take it, do it!
  • I'm in California and we have the same thing. I think it's paid at 55%. I say, if you can afford it, take it!
  • I am in nj, it is paid at short term disability level which is supposed to be 2/3 rd of your pay but has a cap of about 600 per week.
  • I'm in CA and I took the full 4 weeks off before my due date, because you can't tack it on afterward to make your maternity leave longer. We were able to afford it, and it was awesome.

Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Wow that's nice.. we get squat in PA lol entitled to 12 weeks unpaid unless your employer is kind enough to have some sort of pay. If you can afford to live off what you'll get then heck yes take it!!
  • What I find funny is it's so expensive to live in many parts of NJ and CA... but when it comes to maternity leave they're some of the best states to work in!
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Take it! Take it!! Rest, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.. If you have that option take it.
  • Definitely take it.
    I get 15 weeks of leave before my maternity leave but will only be taking about 10 or 11 of them. I think it's so important to have some time off before baby.
  • 15 weeks before?? Goodness! I would be bored beyond belief lol
  • shaley29 said:

15 weeks before?? Goodness! I would be bored beyond belief lol

Haha that's exactly why I'm not taking all of it, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
    Unfortunately my job is too physical and has become to hard for me to keep doing so I do have to go off soon but I really need to find a hobby ASAP.