August 2015 Moms
Options

Freaking out!!

victoriaaa1victoriaaa1 member
edited April 2015 in August 2015 Moms
Im 25 weeks today i had a doctors appointment that lead me to needing to go to the hospital to be rather safe then sorry, I left the hospital at 8 after being their for 3/4 hours to monitor my baby's heart rate and they gave me the terbutaline shot 2 times and reading up on that shot which can save your babies life but also articles from 2011/2012 say it causes autism or defects like Down syndrome and now I'm terrified I don't know what to do! But I know there's a deadline to get the shot and that's when you're farther along maybe for that reason so I don't know

Re: Freaking out!!

• Options
    As the PP said, it does not cause Downs, it's impossible.
    Also using terbutaline is to stop labour starting or progressing so you obviously warranted using it. Look at the benefits outweighing the risks with this one. Keeping baby inside you right now is the most important thing. Your baby will thrive while in you so look at it as a positive. That we have drugs to help in these situations. I hope your mind will be at ease soon. I know it's very scary but sounds like it was best for both of you at the time xxx
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    emmacake08emmacake08 member
    edited April 2015
    I got the terb shot and steroid shots when I was 32 weeks with twins and having signs of preterm labor. Like both pp said, providers only give you it when benefits outweigh the risk. I've never heard it tied to any birth defects either. My dr would only do one dose while I know other providers will do multiple (one after the other). I know pregnancy can feel like the guilt parade but just take a breath and know that you're taking care of your LO and your Drs are too!

Edited: fat fingers hit keys
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like the benefits outweigh the risks in this case. What led to to the hospital? Were you having contractions?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 (surprise) 10/3/13; MMC 10/30/13; D&C 10/31/13
    BFP #2 4/20/14 EDD 12/31/14; BO diagnosed 5/30/14; natural MC (so i thought); D&C 6/10/14 
    BFP #3 12/11/14; First HCG 198-Second HCG 432; First u/s HR 171 bpm- EDD 8/23/15

• Options
    @mrsdormane well my ob just wanted to be sure of what was going on because she couldn't get a steady hearing on my baby's heartbeat she was hearing more of mine than his which didn't happen last time so she said she rather be safe then sorry since I'm already 25 weeks and didn't wanna take any chances so I went to the hospital to have his heart monitored for about 3 to 4 hours and like 3 hours in they come give me the shot cause I guess I have a irritable uterus and it was contracting which explains why my doctor couldn't hear his heartbeat then they gave me another shot once more about 20 minutes before I left . But I felt fine like I do any other given day so I didn't think anything was wrong just a normal check up not going as planned .