3rd Trimester
Options

Stripping membranes?

39+5, still only 1cm and baby boy weighs over 7.5! Doctor is stripping my membranes in a couple days but I keep hearing it's more painful then labor?! Is this true or does it depend on the person, or the doctor?

Re: Stripping membranes?

• Options
    I do not remember if I had this done with my first, but I have heard some people say it hurts, and others haven't mentioned much pain. I think it shouldn't be stressed over! In the end it might bring your baby here sooner so it'll be okay! Good luck!
  • Options
    toryblyth said:

39+5, still only 1cm and baby boy weighs over 7.5! Doctor is stripping my membranes in a couple days but I keep hearing it's more painful then labor?! Is this true or does it depend on the person, or the doctor?

And "some" people are overly dramatic.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's about as uncomfortable as an internal exam (because that's basically what it is).  All the OB does when checking your cervix to see if you're dilated is sweep their finger around your cervix, to separate the bag from the cervix, which supposedly releases hormones to stimulate labor.  You might have some period like cramping after and bleeding, but nothing close to labor.  If it was worse than labor, then no one would have it done :)
    imageimage image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

FWIW, size estimates based on ultrasound are notoriously off at the end of pregnancy.  My friend was told 3 days before she was induced that the baby was "at least 8 pounds" and she wound up being 6 pounds 12 ounces.  So i would not be worried about the fact that the baby is measuring 7.5lbs right now.  You'll go into labor when your body is ready.  If you want to speed things up, the membrane sweep may help.  If you don't mind waiting it out, you don't have to bother with it.

Just because you're only 1cm right now doesn't mean you're nowhere close to going into labor on your own either.  A friend was told at her weekly apointment on a Wednesday that she was "nowhere close" to going into labor at only 1cm.  And then that Saturday she had the baby.  Unless you're so uncomfortable that you can't manage, or you have a health reason that would cause you to be induced at a certain point, there's no reason to rush the baby along. 

• Options
    I had my membranes stripped with my 1st pregnancy and didn't feel a thing.
  • Options
    Some doctors don't even tell you before they do it. It's a sweep of the finger and could help get things going!
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

FWIW, size estimates based on ultrasound are notoriously off at the end of pregnancy.  My friend was told 3 days before she was induced that the baby was "at least 8 pounds" and she wound up being 6 pounds 12 ounces.  So i would not be worried about the fact that the baby is measuring 7.5lbs right now.  You'll go into labor when your body is ready.  If you want to speed things up, the membrane sweep may help.  If you don't mind waiting it out, you don't have to bother with it.

Just because you're only 1cm right now doesn't mean you're nowhere close to going into labor on your own either.  A friend was told at her weekly apointment on a Wednesday that she was "nowhere close" to going into labor at only 1cm.  And then that Saturday she had the baby.  Unless you're so uncomfortable that you can't manage, or you have a health reason that would cause you to be induced at a certain point, there's no reason to rush the baby along. 

Would like to add that there are risks that go along with post dates, so sometimes induction, or rushing the baby along is a better option.