March 2015 Moms
Options

Pacis

what are the pros and cons of using a pacifier?

Re: Pacis

• Options
    I've read that some cons are the baby won't take the breast (if you're nursing). But I haven't had any problems! Pros for me: if he's fussy, he doesn't always have to suckle at my breast (which sometimes makes my nipples a bit sore). The binky comforts him!
  • Options
    So far I only have pros to report. Second child here. No bad things to report with our first either . She's four now. We tend to use ours a little different than some people I think though. We only ever use them for sleeping. They become like a signal that it's bed time and it helps the kids go to bed easier and faster. My daughter slept from 8 to 8 and took 2 hour naps every day until she was 4 and then she transitioned to a one hour nap and waking up at 7am instead of 8. I would call that a success so I'm hoping to repeat with kid number 2! I don't like when they are used constantly when the kids are awake. Especially older kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was wary to use one at first as I didn't want to risk nipple confusion but after our first pedi visit the doctor actually recommended we use one as studies have shown it helps reduce risk of SIDS as LO tends not to fall into as deep a sleep - I agree with pp that I find it best used for nighttime but so far baby and I are happy to use one!!
  • Options
    Agree with PP's about studies regarding SIDS. I choose not to use a pacifier because it's one less thing to wean. Also, my second was born with a high palate and anything other than breast could affect palate development.
  • Options
    I didn't want to use one but ended up trying it because my baby likes to comfort suckle long after she's done eating and my nipples were raw from it. It's made me more comfortable and sane. If you want to introduce one don't feel bad. As my mom friend told me the other day...do whatever works for you.
  • Options
    For the mommas who have done it before is it really that difficult of a habit to break if you only use it at night? When did you wean them off? I am nervous about introducing a habit that is difficult to break but he is using nursing as a pacifier and won't sleep when we transfer him to his crib. Thank you!
  • Options
    It was hard for my 2nd and 3rd child to wean off...finally i just made them go cold turkey. My 1st stoped using it all by his self at 2 months. My new born doesnt want anything to do with it. Im glad in one hand but.on the other wish that she would use it. Maybe my cheches can get some rest..lol
  • Options
    We started prepping my daughter well before the "cut off date" , her fourth birthday. It was hard, we went cold turkey as per my husband's wishes. But I wish we would have tried some other methods first. Someone suggested cutting a hole in the end of it to take away the suction and eventually the kids get tired of it and give it up on their own. We probably won't wait as long this time around to wean off the paci. Probably more like 3. But again we ONLY use them for bed time. So it wasn't like my three year old was running around the playground with a paci haha. Most people didn't even know she used one at all.
  • Options
    Pros: gave my nipples a break from comfort nursing and helps calm him. He always wants to have something in his mouth! Helps my hubby soothe him since he doesn't have the option of giving him boob :-) though I have joked he should wax his chest when I go back to work lol. Love the reduced risk of SIDS as an added bonus
    Cons: I was concerned of nipple confusion but it seems my boy will take anything and still happily come back to the breast. I was also concerned that he would tire out his jaw and not want to eat but that hasn't been the case either, he always wants on the boob so it's nice to have a pacifier for those times I KNOW he shouldn't be hungry
  • Options
    @AGM0616 you're comment about getting the dog made me laugh.

And yes! Paci is SUCH a better option than thumb sucking!