Baby Names
Options

Was this originally a masculine name?

2012insider2012insider member
edited April 2015 in Baby Names
We have Esme picked out if this little one is a girl (we are Team Green). However, I've recently read it was originally a male name? Even though it may have been centuries ago, I find this bothering me slightly as I can't stand the whole boys names on girls trend. 

Re: Was this originally a masculine name?

• Options
    I would consider it unisex. And truly unisex at that.

I don't know it's history well enough to say when it started being used on girls compared to boys, but it seems to have pretty much fallen out of use for boys around the world. 

• Options
    I consider it all boy. It started as a boy name and as a lot of others have gone way to the girls.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's pretty far removed from its use as a boy's name, at least in the U.S. Common usage would tag it as a feminine name. There are dozens of common names we consider feminine that were male names once upon a time: Evelyn, Leslie, Lindsay, Alexis, etc.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your area. My sister's name is Jordan but where we grew up it was a very common unisex name. When we moved and before Jordin Sparks it was not common for girls. I know where I live now Avery is more commonly a girl name but I know in other areas it's common as a boy names and some it really is 50/50.
  • Options
    I love Esme, I only know one Esme and she Is a 75 year old lady from Barbados- I don't know the history but I would consider it more of a feminine name
  • Options
    The only esme I can think of is the one from twilight and it is a girl, so I have a feminine association with it. I don't know how it originally started out though