February 2015 Moms

Breast feeding to bottle

My 11 week old BF baby was taking a bottle (of pumped milk) pretty well until one day and ever since he refuses. And by refuses I mean screams until he sweats and often times falls asleep. I don't know what to do because he starts daycare in a week. Any suggestions?

Re: Breast feeding to bottle

• Try a different bottle
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried Avent Natural bottles? They are shaped most like a breast and my little guy takes them well. I've been giving him a bottle for several weeks to get used to it. When I feed him I hold him the way I do when he's nursing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this problem with my first son and had to try 6 different bottle brands until we found one he would take. The Nuk bottles ended up working for us.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have tried the medela and the tommy tippee, I will give those brands a try!
  • Definitely try latch by munchkin, all bottles come with an anti colic valve.. I just had to purchase the stage 2 nipples a little earlier because baby would get frustrated with the flow but after those my search ended
  • Is your milk frozen and then thawed for bottle feeds? May look into lipase. Changes the smell and taste of breast milk.
  • Have you tried having someone else feed him the bottle with you in another room? Sometimes they refuse because they know you and smell you- they want the boob!!! Lol but seriously my baby did this, but when my mom fed him the bottle, he took it everytime!
  • My baby was taking the bottle fine for a little while but lately has been having a difficult time. The last two times I held the bottle at a certain angle and it seemed to help, I'm assuming it was closer to the way I hold her when I nurse. It definitely is all about your babies preference. Maybe before buying tons of bottles tho see if holding your baby a certain way or holding the bottle a certain way helps. Also, the advice on having someone else do it was great!
  • My LO uses Latch by Munchkin and these have been fantastic. They weren't mega-expensive either, compared to some of the other bottles of the market.

As an aside - how true is all of this..?!
  • We had this issue as well. We had the best luck with Dr. Brown's wide neck bottle and switching to the Level 2 from the Level 1 nipple helped as well.
  • I definitely recommend the Lanisinoh Momma bottles! Also try feeding at different angles and positions. All my family members have certain ways they feed her and she's doing just fine... I went back to work this week and LO turns 3months next week... Best of luck!!
  • We had the exact same issue. I switched to a faster flow nipple and that did the trick! I use Dr. brown's bottles.
  • Yeah ! It's w pain just be patient and keep trying and coach him through it while he is willing to try. Don't force him. Good luck !