High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Testing for preeclampsia

I'm new to the high risk part of this forum and I'm really hoping I can get some advice that will allow me to sleep soundly and not be more anxious than ever before!

Here's my story-
My last 3 appts I've had high blood pressure. I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant with a little boy. And if you've seen my posts before you'd know I've had severe anxiety as my main symptom (trust me I'd rather have had morning sickness) but 3 appts ago I was having anxiety while the nurse assistant came in and took my BP... It was high, 158/80. The dr came in and 10 mins later took it again, 126/70. They thought it was a fluke and we didn't talk about it. Then last appt it was high again, 138/80. And they checked my urine- no protein. That's a good sign! They did say they would monitor it though, so it's been in the back of my head since the original appt where it was high. So today I go in, 148/88- still no protein in my urine though. The doctor came in and talked to me about all of the risks of preeclampsia and told me I had to have blood drawn to check my levels of all different stuff that I couldn't remember if i tried. And she talked briefly about bed rest, delivering early, nicu, etc. things honestly went in one ear and out the other when she said "the good news is your son would survive if you had him tomorrow, he'd be in the NICU for a month, but he'd survive." My hope now is someone else has experienced this and can talk me out of my mental breakdown! What are ways to lower your BP? Other than the obvious calm down, be stress free, and any other stupid useless answer that is way easier said than done. Would they give medicine? Stress tests? Is this harmful for just me or is the baby at risk now too? Please help! Thanks in advance!

Re: Testing for preeclampsia

• Options
    I am I the same boat as you. Extremely high anxiety. Only difference with me is I do have protien in my urine. Tuesday when my visiting nurse came my pressure was 137/90 then 150/100 it kept going up and down. Finally after 20 minutes it went to 118/79. My doctor wanted to be sure so I was sent to L&D to monitor m BP. It started out borderline And by the time I am able to leave it was 116/68. Definitely high due to anxiety. Remember normal BP is 120/80 so your is not very high. My doctor told me to worry when it's 160-170 over 110. Hope this helps. Trust me I know what anxiety feels like.
  • Options
    Yes, they can give blood pressure medication if the Dr. feels that it's necessary. Yes, there are risks to the baby as well. You can get a blood pressure cuff and monitor it at home, they can have you do 24hr urine collections, more blood draws, and ultrasounds so make sure your symptoms aren't getting worse andcthat the baby is fine.At this point you seem to be in the very mild stages so it mostly just monitoring to make sure it doesn't get worse.