Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Traveling with a 3-4 week old

my dad is throwing a surprise birthday party for my mom the week before Mother's Day.

My problem is I live an hour away from family and now feel obligated to go.

So that means traveling in a car for an hour with a new born to be at a restaurant with 20+ people. She's still feeding every 2 hours and I'm breastfeeding.

I'd rather not go but I know it'll be made into a huge fit if we don't show up for my moms party

Re: Traveling with a 3-4 week old

• Options
    Katerina&BabyKaterina&Baby member
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't worry about the car ride - people have farther drives than that to go home from the hospital with their newborn.

To avoid the temptation by family members to get their germy hands all over baby, you may want to wear baby in a sling or infant carrier while at the party. Explain to loving family members that your pediatrician would prefer that people stick to a "look but don't touch" policy until your newborn is at least a month old and so, unfortunately, you won't be able to let them hold your LO right now (after all - if you made an exception for them then everyone would want a turn and baby's immune system just isn't developed enough yet).

Good luck!
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the car ride - people have farther drives than that to go home from the hospital with their newborn.

To avoid the temptation by family members to get their germy hands all over baby, you may want to wear baby in a sling or infant carrier while at the party. Explain to loving family members that your pediatrician would prefer that people stick to a "look but don't touch" policy until your newborn is at least a month old and so, unfortunately, you won't be able to let them hold your LO right now (after all - if you made an exception for them then everyone would want a turn and baby's immune system just isn't developed enough yet).

Good luck!

This. Good advice.

And if there is ever a time to stand up for yourself, this is that time. Insist that no one hold your baby and keep her close to you as much as you can.

You would think a family would be understanding about you having a newborn and wouldn't have a huge fit. That's no fun.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    An hour isn't long at all that would be pretty easy at that age.

I never minded people holding my newborns. If it bothers you just say no.
  • Options
    I went home to VA from Philly when baby was one month. We stopped and changed and fed him twice, it was a three hour drive. I didn't mind people holding him because I have a silly theory it helps their immunity ;). Plus, oh gosh, it is so nice to have other people fawning over him so I could enjoy some walks and a glass of wine.