Babies: 9 - 12 Months

screaming at night???

Hey Ya'll so Averie is 9.5 months old and almost every night this week she has woken up in the middle of the night screaming and nothing comforts her,she doesn't want her bottle,doesn't want to be rocked or cuddled.The only thing that calms her down is to take her out of the room and lay with her on the couch .Does anyone know what this could be?I thought maybe she was in pain but it isn't her hurt cry and last night I gave her tylenol for her teeth at 7:30 and at 9:40 she woke up screaming so I doubt she is in pain.Is it possible for her to have night terrors and if so from what she is so young to understand scary things?? TIA

Re: screaming at night???

• My LO is turning 12mos on the 27th and still wakes up once in a while screaming. He's done this since he was 6 weeks but now he is inconsolable when this happens just like you described. I've noticed that he actually is not awake when we try and console him and sometimes when we take him out of the room he wakes up so he's able to be comforted. Other times I just lie with him, pat his back, tell him I love him and wait it out and he just resumes sleeping. I've read night terrors can happen at this age. I think maybe he dreams about falling or has separation anxiety... I hate leaving him at daycare ! I feel so bad because I know I have vivid nightmares myself where I've been known to wake up crying (usually over some fear of mine like dropping the baby or him getting hurt somehow) and I guess he gets it from me. Your not alone. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited April 2015
    My son (9-10mos) too is waking screaming in waves as if someone pinched him in his sleep. There was a period that he looked uncomfortable, screamed and didn't want to be held for comfort. Nights like these feels like we couldn't help him when he acts this crazy so we let him cry it out until he tired himself out. Hate to do it but it works for us. This usually happens once in a great while when he is too crank to console. I agree with beachdiva31, it could be separation anxiety especially from 7-12mos. I can't leave the room without him fliiping out even when my son is with his father.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours did the same two nights last week which is very unusual. Turned out she had a bad ear infection which was more painful when lying down. Is try to rule that out as she seemed relatively normal during the day- maybe just a bit more fussy.
  • Thanks everyone knock on wood she hasn't woke up screaming in a few nights but she still wakes up multiple times but that is probably because I toss and turn a lot and she is in the bed with me.
  • khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited May 2015
    After reasearch, I discovered my son is gowing through "Sleep regression". Mamas you are not alone. There are many articles online to explain and how to deal and manage through the tough weeks. Find what works for you and baby soeveryone can have peace of mind and some sleep. This bump in the road does not go on forever. Good luck everyone and hang on!!!