April 2015 Moms
Options

Late Ultrasounds

Has everyone gotten a late ultrasound? I feel like everyone knows the weight of their babies and I'm like "maybee 6 lbs". Lol. My last ultrasound was at 29 weeks and he was measuring on track at 2 lbs something ozs. What was your reason for getting an ultrasound so late? I wish my doctor would!

Re: Late Ultrasounds

• Options
    I had an ultrasound at 36.6 weeks for size estimation. The only reason I had it is because my previous delivery my sons shoulders got stuck(shoulder dystocia) and the doc was worried if this baby was as big or bigger I could possibly need a csection. Trust me, it's better to not need one although I completely understand being jealous of everyone knowing how big baby is
  • Options
    I'm getting on Monday assuming I haven't had a baby yet by then. Lol. My dr didn't say why aside from being over my due date
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm getting on Monday assuming I haven't had a baby yet by then. Lol. My dr didn't say why aside from being over my due date

I'm getting one monday too pending baby coming before. I'll be a week late, but it's not a weight check so much as, hey everything still is okay in there type of deal
  • Options
    LKM07LKM07 member
    I have not had an ultrasound in awhile. My last one my son was 4.5 lbs... guess we just have to use our imagination as to what their size will be.
  • Options
    I've been having them every week for size purposes! Baby has a big belly and measuring 8.3 with two weeks left! Eek!
  • Options
    I've only had 2 my entire pregnancy. Last one was gender reveal at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes OP me too. I haven't had an ultrasound since second trimester. My pregnancy has been normal and straightforward so far. If there were any problems or complications I think then I would be sent for an ultrasound. They measure the fundal height for me and so far they always say "Good. Perfect." 

I was surprised too to not have third trimester ultrasounds but I don't mind. I had to go for LOTS of extra ultrasounds in 2nd tri because they had a difficult time getting the "view" that they needed of baby's face. They've never estimated by baby's weight or size for me. But I'm seeing the OB this afternoon so maybe this will change.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Coco118Coco118 member
    edited April 2015
    I only had a late ultrasound bc we went overdue and I didn't want to be induced at 41w, so the doctor said if the u/s looked good then I could keep waiting. Also, keep in mind the weights via u/s are a total guess. They estimated my baby at 8lb 4oz at 40w and she was born 11 days later at 7lb 1oz!
  • Options
    I haven't had one since 21 weeks. I had some problems in 1st & 2nd tri, so I'm just taking it as a thankful sign that everything seems fine. I had one with my first child & their guesstimate was waaaayyy off. My doctor has palpated my belly & given me an estimate of between 7.5-8 lbs this time. We'll see if her method is more accurate.
  • Options
    My due date is Wednesday but if he doesn't come on his own I'll be induced Friday. Probably no ultrasound. I guess it's just weird for me because my seconds growth slowed down drastically after like 29 weeks. I was sent to the high risk for NSTs and ultrasounds every week til my dr induced me. Now this one they haven't checked him since 29 weeks and I'm like "well how do you know he hasn't slown down drastically?". They never did say what could've caused her to not grow.
  • Options
    I have had NST and ultrasounds twice a week in the last month due to my gestational diabetes diagnosis. They actually let me get to 40 weeks though because in their opinion he wasn't at risk for being large. I am being induced tonight though go avoid complications from going too far along.
  • Options

I had one at 34w because I had weight loss surgery and got pregnant while still rapidly losing weight.  Mine was out of medical concern to be sure baby was growing well. 

For #1 and #2, I had weekly ultrasounds because I was high risk.

If you don't need an ultrasound...be happy about that.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Options
    A lot of the times if you're nearing your due date they will send you just to check fluid levels of babe :)
  • Options
    I won't have an ultrasound until the day AFTER my due date. 
  • Options
    @MrsS728 I'm due today and won't have an ultrasound til Monday lol
  • Options
    My last US was at 32 weeks, but I have another scheduled for Wednesday if I don't have the baby by then. I'll be almost 40 weeks 6 days.
  • Options
    My doc stops doing ultrasounds after the anatomy scan at 20 weeks unless you have a problem. I had one because the tape measure had me reading five weeks ahead and I could barely give birth to my daughter who was 8lbs 6oz (shoulder dystocia/ they cracked my pelvic bones trying to get her out) so it was definitely important to know if baby was large this time
  • Options
    I got one at 36 weeks to check size and fluid. Hadn't gained any weight so at 39 weeks they did another fluid ultrasound. She still has a few good sized pockets. If she doesn't come on due date (20th) then another with a non stress test.
  • Options
    I had a NST and US at 41 weeks to check heart rate and fluid levels. US doc said he was 10lbs 14oz and midwife said no way- more like 8 or 9. Started the induction the next day and three days later he was 10lbs 9.5oz! Wish they would have done an US earlier- could have been induced earlier to avoid lots of complications!
  • Options
    I have one scheduled for Wednesday that I hopefully won't make it to to check my fluid levels to prepare for possible induction. Haven't had one since 20 weeks.