February 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding and pumping

hello my baby girl is 8 weeks old and breastfeeding but we also offer her a bottle with 3 oz which we think that's how much she's taking when I breastfeed her . Lately after her 3oz she's fussing for an hr and then she cries but by then is time for her feeding . Has anyone experienced this and do you think I should be feeding 4 ounces ..

Re: Breastfeeding and pumping

• Options
    If she is fussing after her feeding then she's probably still hungry . And you can't tell how much a baby is getting from the breast .
    I would breastfeed her until she's full for one feeding and bottle feed her as much as she wants for her next feeding . That way you can gauge about how much from the bottle she wants to drink .
  • Options
    I'd say still hungry. I tend to go by the kellymom recommendation of breastfed babies eating on average 25 oz/day. Of your LO is eating 8 times per day then 3oz should be close but i'd offer another oz just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She's probably still hungry so long as she's able to hold it down she should be okay with another oz. :-)
  • Options
    She’s probably still hungry. I know the Kelly website says 25oz a day but every baby is different. My mother in law take care of my son while I’m at work (8hrs) and he drinks on average 18 oz, so I know my son surpasses the 25 oz a day rule. Feed her from your breast for longer or give more in the bottle. The longer she’s at your breast the more you will produce.
  • Options
    Anywhere from 22-40 ounces a day is normal for these kiddos so don't focus too much on the kellymom numbers. If she is still hungry after 3 oz it is more than reasonable to offer her another ounce.
  • Options
    LeaALeaA member

Yes! Don't worry about over feeding. My son is 9 weeks. He eats 4 to 5 oz at a time and the doctor said thats fine.  

• Options
    The KellyMom recommendation for 25 oz doesn't take into account differences in babies and weight. I can't find it right now but I remember seeing someplace that my 13 lb 11 week old should take in around 32 oz a day, and it levels off around 34 oz as the baby gets older regardless of weight. This seems right for us anyways. Your milk supply diminishes throughout the day and production amps up at night, with prolactin levels peaking around 2 am. So not all feedings are equal... just like you don't eat your largest meals every time you sit down to eat. I have done a pre/post feed weigh at 10 am and she got 5 oz from one breast in less than 10 minutes (high storage capacity/fast let down). She nursed on and off for 2 hours from 6:30-8:30 pm when I was at a breastfeeding support group and got about 2 oz and I was concerned even though she was satisfied. The LC told me that this is exactly how it's supposed to be. 

I would take her to an LC and nurse her during the time you usually give the bottle, and do a pre/post feed weigh. You can do this for free at most breastfeeding boutiques or maternity wards in the hospital. That would be the only way to know how much she is taking to feel "full" at that time of the day or if this is something else going on. Some other suggestions would be to pause for a few minutes in between each ounce from the bottle so she has time to feel full. Bottles give milk much faster than breasts usually and the baby does have the same satisfaction afterwards. You could also try a paci or a walk to distract her. If the bottle is being given when you aren't around, many babies will eat for comfort and just eat as much as you give them, which can sabotage your nursing when you're with the baby and make it where you can't pump as much when you're away. Sorry for the novel, I have just heard this talked about a lot during the support group I go to. I hope it helps!