April 2015 Moms
Options

Joining April Moms

My due date is May 1st but will be induced on the 24th. This is my second baby. My first was all natural( no drugs) So I have no idea what to expect with being induced. Can anyone share some stories? Was hubby allowed to stay with you? 
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Joining April Moms

• Options
    CivilMommyCivilMommy member
    edited April 2015

I've had 2 inductions.  Yes - your husband can be with you the whole time (except for any pre-op prep if you ended up with a c/s).  If you get an epidural, he may have to step aside and let a nurse be your physical support person during placement of the epi - for legal reasons - but he should be allowed in the room with you the whole time.

ETA:  my inductions were pretty textbook...I was high risk due to blood pressure issues, but was managed well on meds and had no complications...the inductions were "protocol" at 39w.

The 1st baby started with the cervical ripening overnight, then breaking water and starting Pitocin in the morning...30 hours total - vaginal delivery.

The 2nd baby was 11 pounds, I came in a 3cm so we just broke water and started Pitocin in the morning...12 hours total to vaginal delivery. 

no complications.  I did stall out at 4cm both times for hours...then got the epidural and progressed nicely after that.

the part about induction that I HATED is the constant monitoring and IVs and all that...I was basically chained to the bed b/c they had to do internal monitors for my contractions and baby's HR b/c the external ones weren't giving good info (plus size momma problems).

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Options
    How long did it take? Were you dilated when you went in?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How long did it take? Were you dilated when you went in?

for baby #1, I arrived at "fingertip" dilated.  I had the cervadil overnight and was a 1-2cm by morning...enough to break my water.

I started cervadil at 6pm Sunday night and delivered my daughter at 11pm Monday night.  It was a long process.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015