November 2014 Moms

Starting solids

any recommendations on good websites for how to start solids? What foods? How much? How often? I know the basics but feel like I can't find something comprehensive.

Re: Starting solids

• We are planning to do Baby Led Weening with our son. It doesn't include cereal but I wanted an introduction to solids so he has been eating cereal since about 3.5 months. Now he is almost 5 months and he enjoys sucking away on things like bananas or apples. If ur interested in all of the details u can check out the book by Raply & Murkett ... BLW is supposed to begin around 6 months but can be later depending on when the child shows signs they are ready
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know any websites but I am starting with green vegetables. They aren't as sweet. So I think it'll be easier to get my lil one to eat them. Then I plan on introducing orange, then yellow then going on to fruit. After I will know if she has any allergies. Next I will start to mix it up.
  • sarpiegirlsarpiegirl member
    edited April 2015
    Our LO has been on rice cereal since he was 5 mo (for breakfast: 2 tbsp with 2 tbsp breastmilk/day). It's been more "practice" than anything since he's breastfed and is getting all the nutrients he needs. But now he's used to the spoon, almost 6 months and eats like a champ:) So, we're ready to start "real food". I like mfitz33's advice. Some other advice that I've gotten is to start veggies first. According to most moms I've talked to, you don't want baby getting used to sweet fruits first as they may prefer that and shy away from veggies.  I've also been told to stick with the same food for a few days to make sure baby doesn't have any allergic reactions. Once you know it's safe, you can begin to mix the daily menu up.  Most Mom's I've talked to have started with 1 meal/day or sticking with cereal in the am and 1 veggie (1-2 oz) in the pm and gradually bumping that up as the baby gets used to solids and appetite increases. Of course, I've been warned to stay away from nuts, dairy, and eggs. I've also been told by several moms that avocados are a good first food. Like I said, our son is breastfed, so what's best for formula fed babies may be a little different.  Always good to ask doctor for advice. 
  • I subscribe to Lucie's List (https://www.lucieslist.com/year-1/) where they email you tips and advice as you hit each milestone. Or you can check out the website directly for the same articles and tips. I find it pretty helpful and very relatable. Written by a mom for moms.
    DH & Me 33 ~ Married 2013 ~ DD 2014 ~ EDD 8/24/19
  • After some decent research we chose against cereal and decided on avocados, sweet potatoes, and pears (trying one for a few days at a time). I mix breastmilk with the items and let him tell me how much he wants and follow up with a bottle or boob. Coincidentally, he sleeps pretty well at night when he's fed food before bed.