Special Needs
Options

Potential damage to 4 year old's hand

My 4 year old fell last week and broke his elbow.  Since then, he's had four surgeries to try to get everything fixed (surgery to place pins, then he developed compartment syndrome, then an artery was bent and restricting blood flow, then finally to close his arm up from the compartment syndrome).  It's been a week and a half and he still has no feeling and isn't able to move his hand.  I know this could be normal, but I also know there is a very real possibility he will never fully recover based on the amount of time his hand was without proper blood flow.  Have any of you been through something similar?  I would love to hear stories, either way, of children who lost feeling and the ability to move a limb.  I know that even if he does lose mobility, he will learn to adapt and be ok, but it would be comforting to hear from others who have gone through it.

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.

Re: Potential damage to 4 year old's hand

• Options
    Girl, I sincerely wish I had actual comfort for you, but all I can do is offer hugs and love. I am SO sorry you're going through this: this parenting thing is TERRIFYING. 

I will say that a lot of great things can be done with therapy. Is he starting PT anytime soon? 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the support, RissKay. I haven't been on this site in a few months which is why I'm just now seeing your reply. It took him a good 3 months to start moving his fingers and another month before he started getting any feeling back. But I'm happy to report that he's made huge progress since then. We still see the surgeons often and his main surgeon tells us each time we are there that he didn't think my son would keep the arm. He has made more progress at this point than the surgeon ever hoped for. We are beyond thrilled and believe it's a true miracle to be where we are. However, not everything has returned (one finger in particular is giving him trouble) and we are looking at another surgery in February.

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.