November 2015 Moms

Brushing teeth

Does anyone else have trouble brushing their teeth? It makes me gag and I can barely get through it. I've even thrown up while brushing once. Am I alone?

Re: Brushing teeth

• Happens to me now when i brush my tongue, but it also did before. Try getting a toothpaste that doesn't have so much "taste" if that makes any sense, like a simple fluoride one instead of those labeled for their flavors.
  • Happens to me all the time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto. I had to switch from my sonicare toothbrush to manual because of this actually.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Brushing my teeth has been a nightmare. I also gag, and has made me throw up on several occasions! Who would have thought? I am hoping this is a symptom that will vanish soon!
  • Every. Single. Time. It's the worst. I have to make sure I brush everyday before eating or I lose it...the nausea I can deal with...it's the brushing that makes me puke...
  • You are not alone. It's every time. I have actually thrown up in the sink. Gross. This has been a first pregnancy sign for me each time. I haven't really found a way to offset this horrible symptom.
  • Yes! It started really early, even before morning sickness really kicked in. With my last pregnancy I continued to gag while brushing until I delivered...but I wasn't sick that whole time!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Yes! Granted, I usually have gagging incidents when I'm not pregnant. I've started to really focus on breathing through my nose while brushing, and that has helped a bit.
  • Kanne0729Kanne0729 member
    edited April 2015
    I haven't this pregnancy, but my first and third I did and could only use the Colgate 2n1 toothpaste in the Cinnamon flavor. The only toothpaste that made me sick this time was the Aquafresh Orange flavor, but that's just because it was disgusting. My son accidentally knocked it into the freshly change garbage can and I just left it there so I didn't have to use it again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's the worst!!! At least a couple times a week when I try to even brush my tongue alittle :-(
  • I had this problem even before pregnancy. It really helps to spit often and lean over the sink facing down while brushing, that way the toothpaste doesn't pool in the back of your mouth.
  • That's a good tip @amanda97531 thank you
  • Every time!! Ugh hate brushing these days!
  • I had to switched to a manual toothbrush too. The motion of my electric made me throw up yesterday. First throw up in my 8 weeks! Not bad I guess, but I was really hoping to escape without ever throwing up.
  • I thought I was going crazy! Only time I've thrown up is brushing teeth. I've had horrible nausea 24/7 but teeth brushing just makes it a whole lot worse!!!
  • I don't have this problem with brushing, but definitely with flossing. Ugh.
  • Yup! Brushing and flossing. It happened last pregnancy and is worse with this one. No suggestions sorry, but I feel your pain. I just cancelled a cleaning I had scheduled because I was terrified of having them floss and clean my teeth and me get sick in the office.
  • You're welcome @lyankowi hope it helps :)
  • Brushing my teeth on certain days causes and all out vomiting fit! The gag leads to violent throwing up.. It's awful.. This started with my first pregnancy and the gagging part never went away but when pregnant, it makes it much worse..
  • It happens to me a lot.. I make sure I brush before I eat if not I lose all my breakfast.. But I gag so much that my heart pounds out of my chest (also slows down I think) and I feel dizzy for a while
  • I have thrown up on multiple occasions from brushing my teeth. I always had a bad gag reflex and going to the dentist is torture but since I have been pregnant, it is 10x worse! I have to mentally prepare myself to brush and breathe through it. I second leaning over and spitting often. Also, gargling….can't do it! I can swish mouthwash but that is it. 
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had this problem! I started brushing with mouthwash instead of toothpaste and that has helped tremendously! I also drink some water right after brushing and rinsing to clear the back of my throat and that helps too!
  • Ah I just thought about the fact that I have a dentist appt next week. I wonder if I should postpone. I already have once but I don't want to get sick there. This am was not good!
  • Yup I dry heave every time I brush my teeth too. Good times.
  • This post is obviously really old, but I recently just learned a new trick to help and wanted to share. I had been coping by leaning over the sink and spitting often while brushing, but recently that hasn't been enough. It was almost like the taste of the toothpaste itself was making me sick, a learned aversion if you will. I switched toothpaste brands and the new flavor seems to be helping me for now. I think each time it's time to buy a new tube I'm going to get a different brand and/or flavor. Hope it helps you ladies!
  • Every time I brush my teeth this happens
  • Ugh still happening at 18 weeks. It's def the toothpaste. I think it may be the foam. I would try a diff flavor but saw that someone said Orange is even nastier. I usually just have mint. I always lean forward and spit often. Let me know if anyone else has any other tricks !
  • I don't gag, but my gums bleed so easily now. I don't get it, I don't have bad oral hygiene either :(
  • Yep, me too. I went to the dentist yesterday and surprisingly made it through. I asked them what to do and they said a few things 1) swish with baking soda especial if you do vomit. If not, you will be rubbing the acid and can cause cavities. 2) the extra bleeding is from the extra blood flow we all have now. 3) don't skip the dentist bc poor oral hygiene can actually lead to miscarriage and infection bc of the build up of bacteria.
  • YESSSS. I'm so glad I'm not alone. It makes me vomit every single time. I've just tried to use mouthwash more be more consistent with my flossing and brush mid day too when I don't feel as nauseous
  • SarRes08SarRes08 member
    edited June 2015
    So I've been dealing with this for months, too, but I finally found something that works for me. I wasn't having any problem with toothpaste but a poster on another forum suggested using a child-sized toothbrush because the bristles are shorter/softer and the head is smaller than the regular kind. Such a difference! I can brush without gagging/throwing up and I can actually get the molars and gum line like I'm supposed to. I feel sooooo much better/cleaner. The back of my tongue is still a bit of a touch and go sitch, but it's also better with the smaller toothbrush. Just thought I'd share. :)
  • namastelpnamastelp member
    edited June 2015
    Try sensoodyne!
    It lathers less and tastes less harsh.
  • I don't gag, but my gums bleed so easily now. I don't get it, I don't have bad oral hygiene either :(

I'm with you! They bleed every single time. It's so gross
  • urby87urby87 member
    Luckily, this symptom has gone away, but earlier on I felt like I was going to vomit when I brushed my teeth.  No gagging, just overwhelming nausea.  When I felt it, I would just stop for a few seconds and it subsided.  :-??
  • This happens to me every time I brush. Happened w the last pregnancy too
  • kwaldykwaldy member
    Ugh... this was me this morning. I brushed my teeth and then my tongue like I usually do... but some sort of gag reflex was triggered and it spiraled into 15 mins of puking and dry heaving. So gross...
  • kwaldy said:

Ugh... this was me this morning. I brushed my teeth and then my tongue like I usually do... but some sort of gag reflex was triggered and it spiraled into 15 mins of puking and dry heaving. So gross...

Ditto today too. I thought I was over this from tri 1 but apparently not. :-( it sucked so bad. I puked so hard I saw stars.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Happens to me, too!