Babies: 9 - 12 Months

What's going on?

My son is nine months. He has been sleeping a solid 9-10 hours straight for a while now. Saturday night and last night he woke up screaming and the only way to comfort him and get him back to sleep was a bottle with water (like I said, he has been sleeping 9-10 hours before needing a bottle for a while now, and I don't think this is food related). Any ideas of what it could be? He has his two bottom teeth in, could the top be coming in? It's frustrating knowing he is capable of sleeping for so long and then we have nights like these where he wants to be held and rocked and suck on a bottle. Thanks!

Re: What's going on?

• My son is nine months. He has been sleeping a solid 9-10 hours straight for a while now. Saturday night and last night he woke up screaming and the only way to comfort him and get him back to sleep was a bottle with water (like I said, he has been sleeping 9-10 hours before needing a bottle for a while now, and I don't think this is food related). Any ideas of what it could be? He has his two bottom teeth in, could the top be coming in? It's frustrating knowing he is capable of sleeping for so long and then we have nights like these where he wants to be held and rocked and suck on a bottle. Thanks!

Why did you give him water? I don't think babies are supposed to get water until the are at least a year. they don't need water if they are hydrated by bm or formula.  Maybe he is having a growth spurt.
  • You can give babies water at 6 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know you can. But I don't believe it is recommended until after one year.

And what is your logic behind giving your LO water? If he wakes up hungry, feed him.

• I didn't mean to post this to get bashed for giving my son water. I was just looking for some advice on what was going on. Thanks for respecting my choice to give my son water!
  • JMG32JMG32 member
    My son went through the same thing when he was around the same age.  My pediatrician told me to try giving him Motrin because it was most likely his top teeth.  I only gave it to him if he didn't respond to rocking, walking around, etc.  His top teeth were WAY worse than his bottom teeth!
  • Thanks, I was afraid of this!
  • Yes, it probably is teething but why did you give him water and not formula/BM? Water shouldn't really be a staple or go-to.  Why not a pacifier or food? I'm confused.  If you thought it might be teething, how come you didn't give Motrin or Tylenol? Also, MOTN snuggles are a treasure not torture.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • My son is 10 1/2 months and my pedi says it is ok to give baby some water like about 2 oz a day. Besides summer is coming so I am trying to get him used to drinking water which at this point is a failed attempt. My son too is going through a night waking crying phrase but he also teething with bottom teeth breaking through. My son also can sleep and at 11-12hrs a night if he does not have a bad cold. Giving water at night is ok if you know if your baby wakes to only take a few oz than goes back to sleep. Anyways, consult your pedi cause every baby is different especially if one has health issues. Also, it could be that your baby is showing signs of growth spurts and is hungrier than usual which lasts a few days to a week. Keep up the good work mama and hang on!!
  • I never said it was torture giving middle of the night snuggles. So don't put words in my mouth. I said it was frustrating knowing he can sleep through the night/not knowing what was going on. Wouldn't you be frustrated if you didn't know what was waking your baby? I was just looking for some suggestions. Thank you to those who were not judgmental.
  • Niko8083Niko8083 member
    edited April 2015
    My dd has been offered water/juice since she was about 7 months, old along with her regular formula, per pedi recommendations. I'll sometimes offer water to see if she really is hungry or just wants a little something. I see nothing wrong with offering water at night and then giving formula/bm if hungry.
    But to get back to op main question, dd wakes up like that at least once a night. Only on occasion has she slept through the night (lucky you :)). I blame it on teeth. She had 4 come in basically in a few weeks and still working on a few more. If she has a really bad night I will try to give Motrin or Tylenol, but only if she really needs it.

No real advice, but I'm right there with you.

• My guess would be teeth too. I give Motrin before bed and then Tylenol if she wakes up (can give them 3 hours apart) instead of 4 hours between tylenol doses and 6 between Motrin doses. Helps her be comfortable until it passes. Hopefully your lo feels better soon and you all get a good nights rest.
  • We've been going through this. My daughter is 10 months, no teeth yet and the last couple weeks her sleep patterns are off when she usually sleeps 10-12 hours at night. She has a low grade fever 100-101 then back to normal so not sure it's teething or a virus. If she has it today going to try and get into the pediatrician. It's been rough because she's normally so easy going and has been fussy and we haven't been getting good sleep
  • I never said it was torture giving middle of the night snuggles. So don't put words in my mouth. I said it was frustrating knowing he can sleep through the night/not knowing what was going on. Wouldn't you be frustrated if you didn't know what was waking your baby? I was just looking for some suggestions. Thank you to those who were not judgmental.

Welcome to parenthood.
  • Maladroit said:

Yes, it probably is teething but why did you give him water and not formula/BM? Water shouldn't really be a staple or go-to.  Why not a pacifier or food? I'm confused.  If you thought it might be teething, how come you didn't give Motrin or Tylenol? Also, MOTN snuggles are a treasure not torture.

This was completely unnecessary. She's looking for support and ideas, not your badgering on why she didn't try certain things. Suggesting them is one thing, this was flat out rude.

And shame on the rest of you for being so judgemental. This is why moms today go crazy. They can't get any support even on a page that is made to be supportive and share ideas.

I'm sorry mama. Hopefully by now this has subsided. I'm currently going through something similar. It's been at least 6 weeks of waking in the middle of the night after such a long time sleeping straight through. It's definitely frustrating. I feel ya.
  • @seranader my response wasn't meant to be rude or unnecessary.  I was legitimately wondering about her reasoning because I might've learned something.  I Didn't think water was even a night-time option and I don't admit to being all-knowing.  I'm a pediatric nurse and I am always taught that if babies wake up at night, offer a paci or formula/milk...water wasn't even a consideration so that's why I've never thought about it.  Also, teething has been proven to be really painful for babies, so I think offering Tylenol or Motrin was a decent suggestion.  Regarding the MOTN snuggles, I was simply stating that I enjoy them, I could've worded that better so I didn't come across as a bitch.  Lesson learned.  Sheesh.  She wanted suggestions, I offered them...please don't attack me for interpreting my post as uber-bitchy when it was simply not written well.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am

• Sarenader said:
    This was completely unnecessary. She's looking for support and ideas, not your badgering on why she didn't try certain things. Suggesting them is one thing, this was flat out rude. And shame on the rest of you for being so judgemental. This is why moms today go crazy. They can't get any support even on a page that is made to be supportive and share ideas. I'm sorry mama. Hopefully by now this has subsided. I'm currently going through something similar. It's been at least 6 weeks of waking in the middle of the night after such a long time sleeping straight through. It's definitely frustrating. I feel ya.

@Sarenader - late getting back to this post, but yes this has subsided. Little man had FOUR teeth coming in up top. We are all getting rest again (for now). And for those who suggested medication, yes I gave him medication in the middle of the night when he needed it, but resist falling back on it right away in case pain is not the problem. I don't want to medicate if unnecessary.