Parenting after 35

How do you do it?

How do you get through the first few weeks with a newborn without drugs or alcohol?

I know I'm still learning things as a FTM and babies have varying temperaments but I find it hard to imagine doing this while caring for other kids. I've only recently been able to dash to the bathroom without triggering a complete meltdown. At least I've gotten into a workable rhythm. I hope it sticks!

I read somewhere that baby acne peaks with fussiness... The acne look like they're on the wane.. Lol

Re: How do you do it?

• Hahaha hang in there, or can someone bring you mercy wine?

I remember having my first newborn and wondering how mothers with toddlers did this. But the first one is hard, or in my experience it was, because I was getting used to the tiredness and the never-endingness of it, and the fact that you couldn't just "pop to the shop" whenever you felt like it, and the fact that whatever plans you had for the day could go completely out the window and you could end up sitting on the couch rocking a baby ALL day..

Now my children have completely broken me :) none of that bothers me, and I just cruise with it.

I also think you get better at doing things one handed.

I hope everything keeps coming together for you, they do settle into their own routines, and the routines do start to last longer (I remember when my newborn first did something for 3 days and I thought, "yes nailed it." and the next day they did something completely different...they seem to know if you have an appointment or a plan to go out which you've carefully planned around their naps :) )

Best wishes to you and your beautiful baby!
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• One day at a time. Those first few/several weeks were really hard for me too but it got so much better.

Things that helped then :
    -eat while nursing. Grilled cheese or pb sandwich cut into bite sized pieces works well. Or other finger foods. With a water bottle handy.
    -reading and chatting here (various boards - this one isn't active enough to be only support for the newborn weeks)
    -getting outside for at least a short time any day the weather was decent.

If I had it to to over I would totally binge watch favorite shows or movies or something. We were in a no-tv phase at the time for various reasons but TV/movies would have been nice.

Also you can have a little alcohol. Hops is even good for lactation. :)

If you've gotten into a rhythm of sorts you're doing pretty well! I don't think I even managed that til much much later.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • The first 3 weeks were the hardest for me. After the first 3 months we had our routine as set as we could based on the schedule the baby set.

It's tough but it gets better. Hang in there.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a really rough start because of my emergency c section and blood transfusion. I literally functioned at bare minimal capacity for the first month, then I gradually began to find a groove.

Don't try to overdo it is my best advice. Let things go. Just focus on taking care of you and baby and remember it's only temporary. And- remember it's temporary!- so hold and love on your baby because it will all change so fast and one day you're going to miss it!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.