Babies on the Brain
Options

Charting before TTC?

Hello! I'm new the board.  DH and I have decided to start TTC in August of this year. 

So, I've read that charting is the best way to predict your cycle and when you ovulate. 

Anyone start charting before TTC so they have a better idea of how their body works?  If so, how far in advance did you start?  I'm a huge data nerd, so I'm thinking of starting pretty soon even though we won't actively be trying for a few more months. 

Thanks in advance for your input!!
Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
Adopted Furbaby: 2014
TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21

Re: Charting before TTC?

• Options
    DH and I aren't actively TTC till January of next year but I've already starting temping. That way when the time comes I have a much better understanding of my cycles. I don't think you starting to temp is too early. It takes a couple months to get the hang of everything anyway. I wish you the best on TTC!
    Anniversary
    Me (29) + DH (30) | Dating 2003 | Married 2008
    DS - 02/21/2016

• Options
    Yes, definitely. I started several months before. It's info that can only be positive.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I learned about charting before LO #2. I started charting mid-cycle just to get in the habit the month before we were ready to start and then got lucky with a BFP on our first cycle trying. We aren't ready for #3 yet (at least 3 more months, probably longer), but I've already started temping, both to have some cycles under my belt and to use it to avoid getting pregnant prior (I'm not taking BCP because I'm still nursing, so condoms for us until O is confirmed each cycle).
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs. My DH and I aren't going to actively TTC until August-October, but I'm going to start temping on my next cycle. The more cycles you have under your belt, the more you'll know about your fertile window, and in my opinion, the easier it will be to hit the bullseye. 

Some women I've spoken to are stressed about temping, but I actually find it soothing. It means that I'm doing everything within my power to understand my body and take charge of my conception! 

Just make sure that you get the right kind of BBT thermometer. I've heard that the Target brand is no good. You want one that goes to the hundredth of a degree, if possible. Amazon has some options. Good luck! 
    DH (23) and Me (23)
    Married 1/20/2015
    TTC #1 in August 2015! 
  • Options
    I just ordered a BBT that measures to the hundredth degree and will start charting on my next cycle!

Thanks for the input ladies!!
  • Options
    Ok, so after everyone has been mentioning charting, I started doing some research about it. Seems a little silly to me. Hubster and I typically do the deed every two or three days anyways. So we're almost guaranteed to do it during my fertile window when we start trying. I am interested in using charting to go sans condoms after the fertile window.

But seriously, do ya'll not have sex very often, or what?
    Together since: 5/20/11 Married since: 3/15/14 TTC #1: 2015-2016???
  • Options
    We're planning to start TTC in September and I've been charting off and on for 3 years (when I came of BCP for non-TTC reasons). I became more serious about charting in November after MH and I had our when to TTC discussion in October.

I do it because I just like to understand what my body is doing and since I am someone who has a temp drop the day of or day before CD1, it helps me not be surprised by AF.

We just pull out anytime we have sex, except for the last week of my cycle when we don't bother pulling out as long as I have confirmed O and a few days have passed (in case FF changes my CHs for any reason).
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    @lnstump Even having sex every two or three days doesn't automatically mean that you're going to hit the bullseye. You're not "guaranteed" anything. Most women have a fertile window of three days or fewer, so if you're off with your body by even one day, you could miss it. You only have a 20% chance of conception each cycle, and that's assuming that you know when your fertile window is. Which, you won't, if you aren't temping regularly. Why wouldn't you want to do everything you possibly can to understand what it happening to your body? Then you aren't just making assumptions. You will have the facts. Additionally, I know a lot of women who chart because if they ever run into fertility problems, they have that data to bring to an RE. 

If it seems silly to you, that's fine. Don't do it. But you don't have to mock our sex lives. 
    DH (23) and Me (23)
    Married 1/20/2015
    TTC #1 in August 2015! 
  • Options
    lnstump said:

Ok, so after everyone has been mentioning charting, I started doing some research about it. Seems a little silly to me. Hubster and I typically do the deed every two or three days anyways. So we're almost guaranteed to do it during my fertile window when we start trying. I am interested in using charting to go sans condoms after the fertile window.

The frequency of my sex life has no bearing on whether or not I choose to temp. Whether I have sex like a rabbit or only once every few weeks, charting allows you to know when you ovulated and therefore when to take a test or expect your period (wether you're actively TTC or not). Sure, having sex often should "gurantee" you hit your window, but without charting you have NO IDEA when you can realistically expect your period and should test.

And what dies it matter if a couple doesn't have sex very often? If that's what works for them, then great. What business is it to you?
  • Options
    I stared charting and i am not planning on TTC till this summer. I need to get use to my cylces and get use to temping. I already missed two days :(

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    I starting temping in March and am not planning on 'trying' until july or August. So far I have discovered that I'm not ovluating (yet) and that its normal at this point. Without temping I would have thought for sure I was pregnant would have gone to the dr and probably looked like a fool. It really brings peace of mind. I have learned more about my body in the past two months than I had ever known or expected to know. I hope to get a better understanding of my body to better plan when TTC.

Side note: I tried 'loving' a few comments above and it wouldn't let me @beccabee92 and @jnnfrrose6
  • Options
    lnstump said:

For some, temping isn't just about hitting your fertile window. I started charting when I wasn't TTC after an unusually long cycle. Going through the stress of no AF and no positive pregnancy test wasn't fun and temping gave me peace of mind.

• Options
    I'm new here, and DH and I are planning to start TTC in July/August. I'm worried about it not being as fast as he seems to think, so am thinking about coming off BC in May and starting to chart temps. DH thinks it's silly and we shouldn't need to do that, just have sex lots. But looking at the stats and seeing how low chance of conception in a given month, I'd rather be over-prepared. I'm also nervous because I've been on BC for 12 years, at this point I don't know what to expect from my cycle! It was regular before BC, so hoping it will still be.

Any recommendations for BBT? I'm looking on Amazon, planning to buy one and also TCOYF soon.
  • Options
    I have a Reli-On from Walmart and it works great. Don't get the Target brand one - it worked well enough to detect ovulation, but it gives a lot of repeat temps and it was annoying. I know it wasn't just the one I had either - the repeat temps are a frequent complaint about the Target brand.

A popular one is Mabis from Amazon.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options

You don't have to mock our sex lives. 

It originally appeared to me that charting was primarily used for finding the fertile window. I can see now that there are other uses for it.
    I was not mocking, but given a five day fertile window, sex would have to be quite rare to miss it.
    If you are feeling insecure about your sex life, that is something you need to discuss with your husband.
    Together since: 5/20/11 Married since: 3/15/14 TTC #1: 2015-2016???
  • Options
    lnstump said:

You should probably pick up a copy of taking charge of your fertility, and maybe watch the great sperm race. There is only a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month even if you've timed it properly. Temping just makes it easier to know when you've OVd so you aren't going around freaking out that your period is "late" because it is very regular. When really the one month someone OVs later, they'll know when to expect AF.

I went from one 26 day cycle to a 36 day cycle. AF came right on time after I OVd, I just OVd later my second month.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    lnstump said:

You don't have to mock our sex lives. 

It originally appeared to me that charting was primarily used for finding the fertile window. I can see now that there are other uses for it.
    I was not mocking, but given a five day fertile window, sex would have to be quite rare to miss it.
    If you are feeling insecure about your sex life, that is something you need to discuss with your husband.
    No one here feels insecure by any means. Many of these gals are on the TTC board so we are all having sex like rabbits I'm sure.
    It was your last sentence. We back things up by science around here, and it gets tiring to have to repeat ourselves over and over again to people who don't lurk the boards or try to understand how things really work.

We just want people to learn and participate. That's all.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I have a Reli-On from Walmart and it works great. Don't get the Target brand one - it worked well enough to detect ovulation, but it gives a lot of repeat temps and it was annoying. I know it wasn't just the one I had either - the repeat temps are a frequent complaint about the Target brand.

A popular one is Mabis from Amazon.

I did hear about the target one giving repeat temps, but I usually always buys things from Amazon. Several gals were complaining about it on the TTC board. I think most ended up tossing it after a cycle of using it. :(
    So I'd maybe stay away from it.
    I have the Mabis one, and it worked well for me!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I ended up getting the mabis one and started it a few days ago at the start of my current cycle.  I'm totally curious to see what I can learn from charting!  Thanks for all the input ladies!
  • Options
    lnstump said:

Well, aren't you judgy.
  • Options
    I'm starting charting now but not TTC til about September (hi! It's my first post!)

There's other good reasons to chart. If you ovulate around day 20 instead of 14, your doc might think you're a week overdue when you aren't, leading them to induce when it isn't necessary. 

Plus I have some background in this kind of stuff and it's just interesting to me. I kind of feel like I'm conducting an experiment on myself. Haha. And I know that if I don't get pregnant right away when we start trying that I'll go nuts worrying that I'm infertile or something. Feeling like I"m doing something allows me to feel like I'm doing something about my baby rabies before I can really do something. 
  • Options
    I'm going off birth control next month and will start charting.  We don't want to start trying for a few more cycles and it will help us know if/when I have ovulated so that we don't have to use protection anymore.  Also, I'll be curious to find out if I'm ovulating, given that my cycles before BC were never regular in the first place.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Wow, @lnstump that's not what we're about around here, this is a board for support! I work incredibly hard, as does my DH, and sometimes I'm just exhausted, so sex every 3 days isn't always going to be possible. Ever heard of quality not quantity? My DH seems very happy!

Also charting your temp helps you get to know your body, and as @FiancB rightly said, it helps pinpoint conception, which doctors can't always do without that information.

We will start TTC in Aug/Sept and I started temping this cycle and successfully pinpointed ovulation (which was CD20!!) I have the Mabis too and it's worked great! I chart with FF and the lessons are amazing, I've learned so much that I never knew before, I have another app that guessed your O day, it was about a week off!

So glad to know I will have so much company when we start trying :-h
  • Options
    Also since I'm a student and H is a teacher, I really want to have a summer baby, giving me a small window in which I would really like to get pregnant vs later in the year, so charting is important for maximizing those chances. Otherwise, the average couple takes 3-6 months to get pregnant- months I don't really have. 
  • Options
    I want a summer baby too, because I live in Chicago and a) don't want to go into labor in a snow storm b) want to be able to actually go outside whilst on maternity leave! Haha!
  • Options
    Ooh! Thought of another reason to chart!

I don't want to just throw out the BC and cross my fingers because I take some meds that I cannot continue taking when pregnant. I also really, really like my coffee and alcohol. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing those things if it were possible that I could be pregnant and didn't know where I was in my cycle.

So by charting, I can know I'm not ovulating yet and can take my meds/ have coffee/ have a drink. Then when ovulation approaches, I can stop just in case.  And resume if AF is imminent. 

I don't want to avoid those things for an additional several months on top of 9 months of pregnancy if I can help it. 

... I might be jutifying myself here. Ha. 

But yesss I'm in MN and winters here are ridic. So are summers for that matter, but at least no snow storms. 
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I am fairly new to the bump. I just came off my BCP this cycle and DH and I are going to start TTC in 2-3 months =) I started temping today and I really thought charting was going to be harder than it really is. I am planner and I have found that I really like all the info charting gives you. I think I will chart even after and not go back on BCP. I havn't gotten TCOYF yet, because it doesn't come in the kindle format yet. I don't know if I want to get it in paper format because most of my reading time is at work right now and I don't really want to answer questions from nosy people =)
    I am 27, DH is 26.
    We have been married since September 28, 2013.
    We had our first child, Zoey, February 7, 2016.

images 300168
  • Options
    @kirkie928 I've been temping/charting for 2 weeks now, and I totally agree that its way less complicated than I assumed it was going to be!