Food & Nutrition
Options

6 Month old - Solids - and bowl movements questions

My DD has been working on pureed food since she was 4 months old; and since starting she has consistently had trouble with bowel movements.  She would get very backed up & constipated, after talking to the doctor we slowed down the foods and picked out more things like prunes and less bananas.  However, that made no difference.  For about a month & half she would get a new food, then breastmilk only for the next week.  For the past couple weeks I have been introducing her to new foods on a regular basis, her doctor says she's just got to get over it and push through it...
image After having given her many glycerin suppositories, she is finally having bowel movements on a daily or at least every 2 days basis...but they are anywhere from pastey in texture to really hard and formed (such as ours)  Is this normal for babies when they start getting the food on a regular basis?  Breastmilk is still her primary source of nutrition, just supplemented with pureed foods.  I've looked in every book I have and can't find any answer for this! 
So what should a healthy bowel movement for a 6 month old on pureed foods & breastmilk look like?
Thanks.

imageimageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 6 Month old - Solids - and bowl movements questions

• Options
    It's been a while since you posted this but have you also tried giving sips of water (in a sippy cup) when you feed solids? Instead of purees, try baby lead weaning. Where you just give your daughter bits and pieces of whatever you cook for the family. As long as it's not honey (until a year), nuts, chips or any other choke able hazard. My daughter ate what we did spices and all. She ate eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit and veggies, etc. 
    Often times the frequency of poops change when introducing solids. For us, my daughter went a lot more frequently.